PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Brian asked for comments and so I can offer my uses of both fluffy and tapered pipe cleaners. Simply put, I find them virtually useless for any of my briar pipes but mandatory for thorough cleaning of Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes, especially the stems. The larger bore of the stems make using a standard cleaner ineffective. And to some extent, the shanks can take the small end of the tapered style while using the larger end for the stem.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I find you get used to them after a while, and when you do, it's hard to go back. Regular pipe cleaners seem bullshit now, like trying to sweep a chimney with a handbrush tied to a stick.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I get aggravated with how the fluffy ones made by BJ Long's shed the material. The cheaper ones that aren't as fluffy don't give me this problem.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I agree with aristokies in that they are indespensible for the uses he cited and also agree that the quality of the tapered and fluffy Longs brand leave a bit to be desired. I actually pull the loose bits off and nip off the now exposed wire before running them through my stems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just use the standard BJ Long pipe cleaners except for churchwardens which have their own longer ones.

I had one pipe that just seemed to devour pipe cleaner fluff. It was a beautiful, trim, sleek 1/4 bent Dublin,

but its airway was just too small and always grabbed fluff that was difficult to remove. I tried all sorts of

maneuvers and pipe cleaner substitutes, and finally regretfully gave up the pipe. It was no fun any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.