Tags:   
[closed]

Flu Shots, If You Will

(46 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know, some do, some don't. Arguments on either side. One of the most ardent refusals I've heard was from a senior scientist and erstwhile acting director of the National Institutes of Health who had worked on flu vaccines, so take that for what it's worth. Knowing both arguments, I've had flu shots regularly over the years hoping it either is efficacious and/or that it was good placebo, which is sometimes as good as efficacious. So far, so good, with the flu. My object in posting this is, if you "do" flu shots, late September or early October seems to be the most effective timing in terms of getting best immunity according to the CDC site, though they'd rather you get it earlier or later than not at all, all the way into the flu season in late winter. I won't try to give much advice on this, since I'm not a pro on the subject, but we're getting to prime time if you're getting a flu shot. Kids and older people benefit the most, since they have the worst time if they catch the flu.

Posted 10 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had the flu Labor Day weekend. The older I get, the harder the flu hits me. I felt like death. When I went from the doc to the pharmacist, to pick up my Theraflu, the buzzards asked me if I wanted a flu shot... too late.

Michael
    Posted 10 months ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, Cosmic, that's a really early case. Fair warning to the rest of us. Anyone who works in a health facility or in any way with the public ought to think about a flu shot, get one if you will. Most flu is airborne from coughs and sneezes and lingers on doorknobs etc. Cosmic's description is about right.

Posted 10 months ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm giving the shot serious thought. My asocial lifestyle limits my exposure but, my age suggests I should do it. It's free and I'm a fan of free.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The science on vaccines in general is pretty strong. Not much problem with smallpox most places these days, for example. When many people participate in being vaccinated, it dampens the incidence of a particular "bug" in general.

Posted 10 months ago #
  6. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flue shot - You bet, every year. It may or may not work but if it does, I want it!

Shingles Shot - You bet. It may or may not work but if it does, I want it!

Pneumonia Shot - You bet. It may or may not work but if it does, I want it!

All other approved preventive shots - They may or may not work, but if they do, I want 'em.

Pipe Smoking - You bet. It may or may not prolong life as suggested in the 1964 Surgeon's General report, but if it does, I want it!

Pipestud
    Posted 10 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

warren, one line of thinking is that people who live more remote from population centers are more vulnerable since they aren't exposed to low "doses" of bugs that might give immunity. Also, if you are living alone, there's no one to monitor you, so it might a good calculated move to get the flu shot. I think the vigor of your way of life will impart a high immunity in itself too. But I am not a doc or medical person, so take this as random opinion. pipestud, we're thinking along the same lines on this.

Posted 10 months ago #
  8. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About this time of year for the last 6-8 years, everybody I know (wife, kids, grandkids, friends, neighbors, dogs, etc.) starts getting on my arse about getting a flu shot.

I don't know why they keep bitching. I haven't had the flu for about 6-8 years.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The rationale is, the older you get, the more vulnerable you are, so cases of flu are much worse, and yes, sometimes fatal. Then there's the idea that you get the shot to protect your family and friends as well. In any case, stay healthy.

Posted 10 months ago #
  10. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dodged that SOB as many years as I could in the Army, and haven't had once since I retired from there. I have had food poisoning a couple times because I eat like a randy hyena, but I haven't had the flu in 15 years.

They generate the shots off the flu of the year. So often it won't help you against newer strains.

Posted 10 months ago #
  11. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Moose & I always get them. I worked in hospital settings for 30 years & it & TB tests were mandatory. What's-her-name was a social worker & was exposed to some of the "best" carriers, what with clients coming in with kids often sick & playing with the office toys.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  12. chewuch

chewuch

Login to Send PM

Many of us here can remember polio, and probably actually knew someone that contracted it. Just after I received the series of injections, they came out with the sugar cubes - lucky me with a sore arm. Mumps and measles too. I'm a believer in vaccination. Now if they can come up with some for senior memory issues, achy joints, sore feet, cranky attitude, I'm all in...

Posted 10 months ago #
  13. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I never seem to get the flu and haven't had a shot in over 20 years. I think I'll pass once again.

Tim
    Posted 10 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In Navy boot camp in 1968, we seemed to get two or three shots a day for all kinds of tropical and exotic diseases, including if I recall correctly bubonic plague. I have often wondered, how much if at all those vaccines imparted any sort of long-term immunities. Malaria was one of them. Maybe yellow fever. Since this was at San Diego, so many of us would get reassigned to stations in and around Vietnam, we potentially had a fairly global exposure to diseases. I believe if you were assigned in-country, you got an even more extensive round of shots. I wondered at the time if the saturation vaccinations were as effective as if we'd had them over time, but since they had us there, they gave us much of what they could. Guys who were shot-phobic had a hard time. I'd just inhale and wait for the sting, usually no big deal, though I think needles were heavier gauge in those days, and many of the shots were given by Navy Corpsmen in training. No one fumbled and had to needle me twice for one injection. When we received the polio sugar cubes, our Company Commander (like Navy Drill Sargent) thought the sugar cubes were treats to boost morale, when a young corpsman advised him otherwise. It was a vulnerable moment for a guy who wasn't assigned to be all that friendly otherwise.

Posted 10 months ago #
  15. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

I'm suddenly in the mood for reconstituted eggs. Flu shot: just get it. It's not a living strain so no real side effects. Worst case it does nothing. Especially since it's always last year's strain.
    Lastly do you not get a smoke detector cuz your house never burned down? It only takes one time and ppl still die from the flu. Can you tell my wife's a nurse?

Posted 10 months ago #
  16. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definitely get one. I am especially a fan of the pneumonia vaccination. Going about 10 years back, I had pneumonia several times and would get sick at leats once per year. 8 years ago I received my first pneumonia vaccination and have not got sick since. So I am a believer.

Posted 10 months ago #
  17. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

Second on pneumonia vac., both of them. And I'll raise you a shingles vaccine. I had the shingles. You want the vaccine trust me, as lo g as you've had the chicken pox..

Posted 10 months ago #
  18. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have witnessed grievous suffering from the flu, pneumonia and shingles in my immediate family. Get the shots.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 10 months ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A testimonial from peck. I'll remember that when I go to Walgreens to get my dose. I've done the pneumonia and shingles vaccines. Had a brush with shingles, big purple bruises on one side of your lower back (and other areas). If it takes hold it is a world of misery for months or years. Head it off in advance, absolutely.

Posted 10 months ago #
  20. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Here I was feeling all healthy and relatively safe and now I'm sensing impending doom. Jeez, thanks a lot guys! What am I up to now, 3 shots? I'll let this thread mature a little while longer so I can have a more complete list of injections to ask for before I go to the minute clinic.

Posted 10 months ago #
  21. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

Dont worry they ussually like to do one at a time, def not all three. This way you get to pay more... so once you do those three we will give you a new list. Actually I think that's it for now unless you planning a trip to west Africa or the rainforest..

Posted 10 months ago #
  22. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

Have gotten the flu shot for 20 plus years and have not had the flu since receiving said shots.

Posted 10 months ago #
  23. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flue shot - You bet, every year. It may or may not work but if it does, I want it!

Shingles Shot - You bet. It may or may not work but if it does, I want it!

Pneumonia Shot - You bet. It may or may not work but if it does, I want it!

All other approved preventive shots - They may or may not work, but if they do, I want 'em.

Pipe Smoking - You bet. It may or may not prolong life as suggested in the 1964 Surgeon's General report, but if it does, I want it!

Pipestud

This is excellent advice ^^^^

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 10 months ago #
  24. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The medical-pharmaceutical complex relentlessly pushes pills to the tune of billions each year, and vaccinations are one of its slickest ploys. On the other hand I'm no efficacy expert. But I know Big Money has it wrong.

Posted 10 months ago #
  25. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I watch my 2 year old son during the day so I can't afford to have any down time. Yes I get the shot.

Posted 10 months ago #
  26. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No thanks.

Shingles Vaccine Issues

Posted 10 months ago #
  27. fluffie666

fluffie666

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been eating raw garlic one to three times a day for over six years. I work outside in the winter. Here in Pennsylvania, we don't live in the coldest climate but we get down to -20 degrees with quite windy conditions. I haven't caught so much as a cold since I started this. I won't take a flu shot.

Posted 10 months ago #
  28. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fluffie that's because your breath is so bad no one will come close to you to get you sick

Hey whatever works works!

Posted 10 months ago #
  29. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another plus is the vampires won't get him either.....

Posted 10 months ago #
  30. fluffie666

fluffie666

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's the stench of health baby

Posted 10 months ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hoosier', nothing about vaccines is pretty. But also look at information on shingles. For some it is not a passing illness but a chronic disease and can be extreme, so painful that people cannot wear clothing near their skin, and this goes on, for some, for years. So consider the adversary. Making vaccines is like making sausage; you don't want to watch, you don't want to know.

Posted 10 months ago #
  32. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got mine. Never used to do so til about 12 years ago when I was sick for 10 straight days. Haven't missed s shot since then. Got the shingles shot last year.

Posted 10 months ago #
  33. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No thanks.

+1

I've been eating raw garlic one to three times a day for over six years. I work outside in the winter. Here in Pennsylvania, we don't live in the coldest climate but we get down to -20 degrees with quite windy conditions. I haven't caught so much as a cold since I started this. I won't take a flu shot.

Yep...it's the allicin...great anti-microbial.

Making vaccines is like making sausage; you don't want to watch, you don't want to know.

Personally I do want to know...and the manufacturing process is precisely the problem with vaccines (not the scientific theory behind how they work).

Too much risk of both chemical and biological contamination for me...and the associated neurological and autoimmune disorders.

And I just don't trust the companies who make them.

If you trust it/them, great...have at it...and good luck.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 10 months ago #
  34. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After working in hospitals for 40 years and seeing the complications from some of the diseases vaccines prevent, I've decided to take my chances with the vaccines. It's like the car seat belt argument. Yes, under certain conditions you might find yourself struggling to free yourself from your submerged or burning vehicle. But it's far more likely they will keep you from flying through your windshield and being crushed by your own car. Vaccines and seatbelts. Both great ideas.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  35. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think certain vaccines are clearly worthwhile and necessary. Vaccinating against a predicted new flu strain every year seems like flawed thinking to me. Frankly, injecting almost dead viruses into my body to encourage my body to create antibodies seems somewhat flawed. This is a "one size fits all" solution when you're dealing with millions of different people.

My concern is the world is heading towards a horrific pandemic from one of these super bugs, genetic mutations or all the GMO foods. All this uncontrolled altering of Mother Nature is incredibly scary.

At the same time, I'm not 100% sold on which way is best. I have an excellent family physician who is a Doctor of Internal Medicine. Haven't visited him in about 3 years. I suppose I should schedule a check up and get his opinion on these different vaccines. He is the sort of person that will give his honest opinion, which I respect. I'm not formally trained so I will likely take his recommendations. I have no fear of the needles, I just wish to do the right thing.

Posted 10 months ago #
  36. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's really hard to say whether we have actually avoided a pandemic with the flu vaccine. About ten years ago, I remember they were really scaring us with predictions of another flu pandemic with images from the last one.
    It's really an individual decision. I wouldn't hold it against one whether the do or do not vaccinate against the flu or pneumonia or shingles. I get them some years and not others, depending on whether I remember to or not. I haven't gotten the shingles one though, but my daughter did get them when she was a toddler, and it was a nightmare.
    These are not like the vaccines against childhood diseases. It is sort of negligent not to get those, but these are more adult diseases, involving adults deciding for themselves. That's different. IMO

Posted 10 months ago #
  37. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A big part of the problem is the primary benefactors are Big Pharma. I believe they are every bit as corrupt as the Big Insurance Companies. They both spend tens of billions of dollars per year on advertising and lobbyists. If they are purely so good, why do they need to spend so much money lobbying for laws that benefit them?

Posted 10 months ago #
  38. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's what the CDC says about the safety of flu vaccines, https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/vaccinesafety.htm

Didn't realize how expensive those vaccines an be til the nurse who injected me last year said they bill my insurance for $400+. The flu, though, did kill quite a # of people last year, tragically including a # of children.

Posted 10 months ago #
  39. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These are not like the vaccines against childhood diseases.

The biggest problem with childhood vaccines (aside from the manufacturing issues) is way too many are given in too short a period of time (beginning even immediately after birth).

A number of highly credible and credentialed people over the years have pointed out the danger of doing this to a newly developing immune system...and I agree with them (even though people like them are typically demonized by the MSM).

Here's what the CDC says about the safety of flu vaccines

I don't trust the CDC any more than I do the pharmaceutical companies...but that's just me.

Posted 10 months ago #
  40. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't trust the CDC any more than I do the pharmaceutical companies

Seriously? They're a government agency, what's not to trust?

Posted 10 months ago #
  41. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I refuse to wear a seatbelt. I'll take being ejected and canoeing my skull on a rock vs burning to death. I've seen enough of that. Give me the ticket officer and move along.

Posted 10 months ago #
  42. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel compelled to say that there are good pharmaceutical companies out there doing lots of worthwhile research and producing quality products. Allergan is one that comes to mind as one of the good guys. One of the reasons they have lobbyists is because they are so heavily regulated. If Congress is about to pass laws that affect your bottom line you are going to be there to have a say if you can. BTW, I'm not against regulation, but there is some really bad regulation out there.

One of the harmful things the FDA has done over the past fifteen years or so has allowed monopolies on drug production. A group of investors will swoop in, buy a drug company, amputate the money losing research department and jack up the price on a medication it has sole rights to produce creating high prices and artificial shortages. It's definitely not a free market situation.

As far as vaccines, I think over a hundred million dollars has been paid out in "vaccine court" (Yes, there is one) law suits so far this year.

If we ever want to see cheaper drugs in this country there is going to have to be some tort reform. Same situation for any kind of medical care. Too many people are ready to sue at the drop of a hat.

Posted 10 months ago #
  43. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tuold: You're absolutely correct. But, facts simply muddle up the discussion.

Posted 10 months ago #
  44. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

As far as vaccines, I think over a hundred million dollars has been paid out in "vaccine court" (Yes, there is one) law suits so far this year.

Ever known anyone who was vaccine damaged? I do, intimately, and it is very sad. The government has a program to pay those who have been vaccine damaged and, yes, it is in the hundreds of millions. Why? Because they also prohibit victims from suing the pharmaceutical companies directly. So while many will crap shoot on getting their shots annually and have no ill effects, there are thousands that don't do so well and pay dearly for it. I see it first hand.

Me, I have never had a vaccine or flue shot or any of that my whole adult life, and I very rarely ever get sick. I have no need to have poisons introduced into my body, and they are poisons. So go ahead and take the risk. This is an issue I am very passionate about from first hand experience.

Posted 10 months ago #
  45. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The obverse is millions will get he shots with no ill effects and be protected, protect others, by not being a carrier. There's is always going to be "collateral" damage. Some injury is certainly acceptable for the benefit of the millions. Tragic as it is!

So, one pays their nickel and takes their chances. Weigh the risks and take your chances. I do draw the line at people who send kids into public schools not properly protected. Protected from who? The little critters who become the carriers and spread the readily controllable, oft times serious, illnesses. Hell, I know people, some relatives, who smoked and died of cancer. I weighed the risks and still smoke. I investigated many fatal vehicle accidents and still drive.

I'm sorry, your anecdotal observation isn't going to sway me. Too much evidence says vaccines are worth the risk. I'm now convinced so, down for my shot in the morning I go.

Posted 10 months ago #
  46. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I would like to close this one down before it gets out of hand.

Javan
    Posted 10 months ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, cdmjr, jpmcwjr, jaytex969, laniromee, jiminks, danimalia