Florida tobacco laws (tinned tobacco sales)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe912

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
I have heard from a tobacco shop in North Florida that tinned tobacco sales are prohibited because of tax laws. Is this true? Doesn't sound right to me. Can someone please enlighten me about this?

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I don't live in Florida, but that is the first I've heard of that. I don't see how tinned tobacco could be an issue tax wise. I would imagine it is taxed by weight, just like bulk tobacco is.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Not correct. I have purchased several tins at my local shop.
It's really a shame when someone provides very bad information, whether it's because they are uneducated and uninformed, or they are lying to you and think you are stupid.
This is completely asinine.
The taxes are very high in FL though. For example, a tin that I get could get online for $9 costs $19 in the B&M, but all the extra money is taxes.
My guess is that your local guy doesn't think he can compete selling tins with such a price disadvantage, but he can get bulk tobacco (where the taxes are still the same high rate), but it's harder to compare apples to apples when he buys bulk and gives it his own in-house name.
He just doesn't want to admit that.
Of course, this is just all speculation, but usually if something smells like crap, it usually is crap. Except a Cuban cigar.

joe912

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
That's what I thought. My mom and sister were doing some Xmas shopping for me (I reside in AK) at a tobacco shop in Jacksonville, and that is what they were told when they tried to purchase a couple tins of tobacco for me.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I suspect the shop keeper is a bit of a prevaricator. This post is proof that I am occasionally capable of understatement. :D

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
It sounds like, what he should have said is that tax makes selling the tins prohibitive rather than prohibited. Hope you get what you wanted for Christmas!

joe912

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
I find it very disappointing that a shop would outright lie like that. Why not be honest? Is it really that difficult?

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
Just shows the politicians aren't the only ones capable of talking through the hole that food comes out of!

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
If it was your mom and sister - there's the problem. I have been chased out of a tobacco store by shunning or outright rudeness because I was a female in the seekrit wumun hating man-cave. It's the same way in video game shops, and certain liquor stores. That's ok with me - I'll take my money elsewhere.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I think Cyndi hits it on the proverbial head. He lied because he wanted to sell his bulk blends and figured women wouldn't know the difference. Either that or he didn't want their biz at all.
Money has no gender or race but some folks don't understand their own business, or so it seems.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Mac - out of the 15 B&M tobacco stores in my general area, I will only set foot in two of them: Smitty's and Smoker's Embassy. Everyone else acts like I'm some sort of demon come to wreck their "beautiful" stores. One guy even told me "this isn't your type of store. Get out."

joe912

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
If it was your mom and sister - there's the problem. I have been chased out of a tobacco store by shunning or outright rudeness because I was a female in the seekrit wumun hating man-cave. It's the same way in video game shops, and certain liquor stores. That's ok with me - I'll take my money elsewhere.
It's a shame.
When I worked retail in predominately male interests (motorcycles, automotive, guns), women were among my best customers.
and yeah, comic book shops are WEIRD.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
It was something like "you're right about that!"

So much more reserved than gutter-dawgs like me was thinkin' (-;
The tax burden as it relates to tinned pipe tobacco is what a local cigar shop told me when I asked why they didn't stock any. They have a few jars of bulks, PS, and McClelland as I recall. Something to the effect that their stock turnover in pipe related goods was simply to slow to tie up capitol in tins.
At least these folks didn't try to BS me with their responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.