PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So I bought an older lighter (allegedly from the 60's) from an antique shop two years ago. I've been meaning to get around to getting it in working order again. After some WD-40 I got the sparker wheel to turn and it takes fuel fine. But the flint is dead, which is my problem. If it was a zippo flint I'd be set but it's an older style where the flint is thin where it goes into the spring and thicker above the spring. Kind of like a peg used in battleship. I've been searching google on where to buy flints like that, but all I'm getting is modern zippo style flints.
So anyone know where I might find such a flint>

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Are you sure that this is actually the flint and not just the "pusher" for the flint? This little peg is made of brass and often tarnished so that it might look like the flint. Normally you would place a new flint before this pusher (drop the flint into its tube and screw the pusher with spring back in).
Cheers
Frank

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Agree with stvalentine. Also make sure there isn't an old flint stuck in the hole and worn down. I had that issue with an old lighter. I used a tip cleaner ( as used by welders) to clean the hole.

kamikaze

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
I have a Nimrod lighter that was gummed up the same way. It takes Zippo flints, but the strike wheel was so gummed up with an old flint (they disintegrate apparently) that I had to clean it out before a flint would even fit in it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I occasionally buy old lighters and clean them up. The Ronson type operating lighters. They typically have an old flint stuck in the shaft. I usually use a small drill bit to cut through it until the hole is clean. Pipe cleaners help to. I also have to remove the striking mechanism as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.