PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
image-600x448.jpg
So I posted this the other day but now I have pics for it. I found this at a flea market tagged "savinelli 614 dry system" with a sav box and pouch. But there is no savinelli etching or inscribe on the pipe anywhere. Is it a sav?

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
Sorry bout the extra posts just learned how to post pics lol. The only thing inscribed on the pipe is "Italy" could this be a savinelli or did I get taken? It smokes like a champ

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I used to have a Wellington shaped like that but it had the wrap-around, domed silver going into the stem.

Did you get taken? Well, whadjya pay?

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
40 bucks..... I got excited when I seen the tag,box, and pouch and picked it up and bought it without research..

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
That's a good looking pipe. Does it use a filter? I read your other thread but don't recall whether you told us.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
image2-600x448.jpg
it came with theses triangle shaped savinelli filters but I see no way they would fit in the stem or pipe which is another reason makes me think I got taken...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm pretty darned sure that you could recoup your dough by selling that pipe. Although evidently generically Italian, it appears to be a beautiful piece of well aged old briar and its stem seems to be in excellent condition.

Are there ANY other evidences of nomenclature on the pipe?

I always think about comparing the cost of a pre drilled pipe kit to an estate briar. You'll have at least $30 in an unfinished, but smokable hunk of briar with a kit.

Sure, you could probably hunt another one down for less, but it would probably have to be a matter of good fortune, which it seems you've already encountered.

That's a very nice pipe right there.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
Thanks newbroom, it looks very nice and smokes well. There is no other engraving on the pipe except the word "Italian". And yes the stem is in great shape and it's very comfortable, I was on the verge of buying a savinelli so I got very excited when I came across this and jumped on it. It may not be a sav but I'd say I bought a good pipe? I just wish I could know for sure what brand/ maker it is

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
It said "dry system"? If you can, post a pic of the pipe opened up. For $40, if it smokes good, it's a bent, a dry system would be an added plus! :) to me anyway.
Most everyone who is honest has been where you are or close anyway. Everyone talks about learning tobaccos, pipes are the same song second verse. Many of us are learning too, and that for me is part of what makes it interesting.
This blog is like the fountain of knowledge of pipe smoking. If one of these guys on here does not know about it, it probably does

not exist.
I would start dropping names but they would all get dewy eyed and start blushing.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
That is similar to a Peterson dry system. I do not know much about Savenellis other than owning a couple, but If I recall correctly they have offered a dry system in some of there pipes. Generally though they either are set up for balsa filters or no filter at all.

If it was used I would clean it really good. They are designed to gravity flow saliva and other moisture that condenses in the stem into that pocket you see when you look below the draft hole. It all goes into the briar. This is a trap in the truest sense of the word. If smoked, (you did not say) a retort and salt treatment would be a minimum for me. If not previously smoked, it is obviously is all yours, so no problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.