Flawed 1971 Dunhill Bruyere & 1976 Shell -- both Lovats (shape 40)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
At first I was going to bypass the pipes in my rack that were imperfect, damaged, or poor specimens, then reconsidered when I remembered that part of the reason for this Pipe Of The Day photo project was to be mildly educational. Give the new guys to our hobby some examples and background on classic-y stuff in addition to hopefully triggering some memories / conversations for the old guys.
So, here are two pipes of the same shape that have different problems.
The first is a Bruyere that's in good condition, but was badly cut.
As I said in the Tonino Jacono post yesterday, there are an infinite number of curves but only one straight line, so whenever something that's supposed to be straight isn't, it stands out like a sore thumb.
Notice the top line of the shank. :evil:
The pipe should have been sent back around by Dunhill's QA for a re-do, but it wasn't. (Sadly, such sloppiness wasn't uncommon in the 1970's.)
How I ended up with the pipe---and why I will always keep it---has to do with a lovely young lady who bought it at the Richmond show in 1991 while I wasn't looking, and gave it to me later as a surprise gift. :D
P1020427.jpg

P1020430.jpg

P1020433.jpg

P1020435.jpg

The 1976 Shell is well cut and a nice blast, but, obviously, is a repair.
A sweet memory accompanies this one, too: Years ago, a long-standing customer sent the pipe to me unsmoked but in pieces. He'd dropped it on the carpet while putting it into his rack for the first time (!), and pivoted to look where he thought it landed. Except it bounced slightly behind him, so when he moved his feet to turn to the side he stepped on it and exploded the shank. As in, five pieces exploded (it happens). It's what repair guys call a "puzzle break". (Amazingly the tenon did NOT break. Go figure.)
Repairing a puzzle break to like-new function (the mortise always needs re-cutting), and decent appearance (especially when the finish is a sandblast---the surface must leveled or the band will look lumpy), is an exquisitely fussy business. The band must be wide enough to completely contain the break and have 100% surface contact with the wood, or the delicately-glued puzzle pieces will eventually break/loosen from the tenon's outward pressure.
Anyway, though the repair turned out well, the pipe was sent back to me as a hitchhiker in that customer's next box, still unsmoked. He said that he'd ended up never reaching for it, it just sat in his rack. That having a band spoiled the pipe for him for aesthetic reasons, and if I'd smoke it I could have it.
Since I knew both his personality and his circumstances (world-famous in his field and financially well off) I knew he wasn't kidding. So, hating to see the little Dunnie's purpose in life unfulfilled, I accepted. :mrgreen:
Now, of course, I can never light it up without thinking of that man and his generosity. :puffy:
P1020438.jpg

P1020443.jpg

P1020445.jpg

PC033768.jpg

PC033767.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The sloping line of the Gruyere would not be seen as an error were the shaping esthetic of Castello or Roush shanks was a reference. You could just think of it as your Castello/Dunhill?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The sloping line of the Gruyere would not be seen as an error were the shaping esthetic of Castello or Roush shanks was a reference. You could just think of it as your Castello/Dunhill?
:lol:
Hm...
The catch being if a line is supposed to be straight but isn't, it's an error no matter who did it. That many makers don't care---or, tellingly, rarely make pipes in shapes that require a high level of shaping skill + the time it takes to do it right (even when they CAN do it right)---doesn't change the situation.
All that matters at the retail level, though, is whether or not a buyer cares.
And the bottom line with them is not many do, but the ones who do tend to care a lot.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I didn't have luck with the lovats as ergonomic for me. I have to hold them with my front teeth and there isn't enough stem for me to put it farther back in my mouth. But I have kinda of a wussy jaw. How are they for you?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Fascinating stuff George.
As my old shop teacher used to say, when we joined two piece of lumber in an appealing manner, that band looked like it "growed that way"

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I didn't have luck with the lovats as ergonomic for me. I have to hold them with my front teeth and there isn't enough stem for me to put it farther back in my mouth. But I have kinda of a wussy jaw. How are they for you?
I'm a just-in-front-of-the-corner-of-my-mouth clencher, so the length (depth?) of the blade can be fairly short and still be OK.
I like the way Lovats split the difference between a standard-length pipe and a nosewarmer, and still have a full size bowl and (in my case) comfy stem. By far my favorite road trip / driving shape. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.