PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Dear fellow pipe smokers,
I have a question about English blends. I like to smoke English/Balkan/Latakia blends from the Dunhill series (London Mixture, Durbar, EMP, Nightcap, MM). When I open the tin the first few times the flavour is full and the taste is excellent. Towards the middle of the tin I find that the taste fades away for some reason.

When I open the tin I jar immediately the tobacco in a jar that looks air tight. At least it doesn't look that the tobacco is too dry. I am wondering why this happens.
On a different topic I notice that some times, again towards the middle of the tin, occasionally the tobacco tastes bitter at the beginning. This bad taste persists in the first 1/3 of the bowl and then subsides. Again I am not sure why this happens.
Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Kind regards,
LT

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
This happened to me for a little while and altered my smoking cadence, which worked. I think my sense of taste was developing and transitioning to getting use to pipe smoking. I am sure I was puffing to hard and getting my pipe too hot and losing flavor.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
From your post, I believe that you're using the jar/tin to fill your pipe for each individual bowl. Permit me to suggest that you fill a pouch with enough tobacco to last you a few days. That way the container will hold the tobacco better.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most tobaccos arrive in an overly moist condition, so given your jarring practice, they are not too dry.
You might find more joy in the English offerings of both GL Pease and Std. Tobacco of PA. There are many!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only English in my rotation is Nightcap but I have smoked MM965 in the past and may do so again as I like it. I also jar upon opening the tin (glass jar with hinged lid and rubber seal). I have never noticed any change in smell or taste, nor have I ever received a tin of any Dunhill blend that was not ideal moisture. Maybe it's not the tobacco, maybe it's your palate growing weary of a blend? That happens to me especially with Royal Yacht. I'll love it for a while then begin to detest it. Given a break of several months I'll love it again.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Thanks for your replies.
I indeed use take the tobacco from the jar, which I think it is ok, since I don't smoke very often and the tobacco does not seem to be dry.
I guess that my palate grows weary somehow, combined with a tendency that I have to smoke fast occasionally.

I need to try again!
LT

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Hi,
ericusrex: yes, I wash my jars and I leave them to dry open for weeks before I use them again with a new tobacco.
I was thinking that the environment of the jar is different than the environment of the tin and I was wondering whether this

can have an effect.
The way now is to make an experiment: I will leave it aside for a month and try it again. This will at least clarify whether it is a palate issue or not.
LT

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Towards the middle of the tin I find that the taste fades away for some reason.
Could be drying. Try Mason jarring it; this is a tighter seal than an opened tin.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Hi,
for the history I think that it is indeed some kind of pallette fatigue. I tried again after some time leaving aside the blend and the taste returned to a very good degree. So, I guess it is not (only or mainly) storage. It seems that my tongue is very sensitive to the taste, despite the fact that I smoke less than once a day. thanks again for the feedback!
Kind regards,
LT

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
I have to agree that it is a mix of both.. I mean leaving the tin open for a while lets the flavouring out, and again your palette changes from day to day. A thing that works for me to neutralise my palette is to have a cup of cold milk alongside the smoke. it really makes the flavour pop

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I recently bought 2 tobacco pouches. One for english blends, the other for my aros. The pouches will each last me over a week of smoking, and I dont have to worry about popping open my jars every day to fill a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.