Where to Buy Flavoring Agents for Home Blending?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Hi everyone, does anybody know where I can buy flavors for my home blends? I was interested in buying familiar cherry/vanilla/chocolate flavorings. There are solutions available on Amazon, both water and alcohol based, but they are primarily made for consumption of food and drink. I last bought Deer Tongue on Amazon that was advertised for its apparent magical properties. That didn't work out so well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd stick with light applications of whiskey and rum, known entities.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
i had an idea for a blend, 1 part Virginia, 1 part Latakia, and 20 percent Perique...with cherry flavoring. It's not possible?

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I have tried several things. Deer Tongue actually works the best. I bought some leaves from eBay that had stems in it. Looked on Amazon. Same thing. The powder they sell is root, not leaves.
Someone here suggested Penn Herb. They have powder (Leaf) and Leaves. I took the powder. I sprinkle it on a tobacco, mix it up, and smoke or store it. I like it fine.
I've tried other flavors without much success.

Jan 8, 2013
i had an idea for a blend, 1 part Virginia, 1 part Latakia, and 20 percent Perique...with cherry flavoring. It's not possible?
It's possible. Personally, Food grade flavorings such as Lorann Oils is what I would suggest. From what I understand they're basically the same as what the professionals use. Not sure if that's the brand they use though, but I don't know of many other options. Blending is fun and can be quite rewarding. Let us know how it goes.

Jan 8, 2013
Have you considered one of Cornell & Diehl's Small Batch Blending Kits?
This is what got me started. It seems like it might be pricey, but after trying it myself, I truly believe it's more than worth it. It will help you get started. Even the recipes that come with it will help give you an idea on what tobaccos and how much work well together. Thumbs up on this one.
Edit to add: Sablebrush, those are actually E-liquids (strange from D&R) which are actually ready made flavors for vaping. They contain Propelene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin. PG is common in pipe tobacco flavorings, but I'm not certain how Vegetable Glycerin would work out. It might make the tobacco very goopy as it's pretty thick.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Thanks everyone, I'm going with the Lorann Oils. They claim to be super concentrated, far more than extracts and alcohol based formulas. I appreciate all your help.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Thanks everyone, I'm going with the Lorann Oils. They claim to be super concentrated, far more than extracts and alcohol based formulas. I appreciate all your help.
Double post, sorry, can't seem to delete it.

Jan 8, 2013
Keep in mind, water based flavoring agents will moistren your tobacco/leafs, so you'll have to take steps drying it out back again. Alcoholish based agends will vanish by themselves within 1-2 days.
The Lorann oils are alcohol/propylene glycol based.

Status
Not open for further replies.