PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
It seems flavor alludes me - I have both old & new pipes but no matter what, i dont get flavor on each puff only every 10 or so but need to work on it.

need to draw hard pass it thru my nose then back to no flavor - even " sipping " does nothing. - different aromatics the same

how much flavor do you get on each draw - i think the preservatives reduce flavor compared to when i started smoking 50 years ago - i had flavor each " puff " then & i expect they had very little preservative compared to today.
Even mc clellands tastemaster chocolate has no choco taste to me although others have described it as rich in chocolate flavor. their town topic needs to be worked on to get the maple flavor - only 3oaks with latakia gives me flavor & i dont like latakia so blended it with 50/50 their virginia blender.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
In my case, it has to do with tastebuds. After smoking menthol cigarettes for twenty years, I can really only taste the spiciest of foods. Most of the nuances of pipe tobacco are lost on me - I wish I could taste the same things that other folks rave about. Not whining, just saying.
Technique also plays a large part. Packing and puffing is the key to tasty smoke!

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Try some virginias like Dunhill flake or SG full virginia flake. When sipped at a smoulder they are still very flavourful.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I've noticed I have problems tasting during allergy season...even just a little sinus congestion seems to affect flavor. You could pick up some OTC allergy medicine and see if that helps...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Most aromatics don't taste like they smell nor do they taste like they sound (i.e. a "chocolate" tobacco may smell like chocolate, but rarely do they ever seem to taste like chocolate). Combine that with how well tuned one's taste buds are and everyone's experience will be a little different.
But really, the flavors should be subtle IMHO. Few pipe smokers want to smoke a chocolate bar - a subtle hint of chocolate (or cherry, etc), combined with a tobacco flavor is what I personally enjoy.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
I agree that allergies and seasonal pollen blooms affect taste buds. I know I've been having a bad fall regarding allergies and some of my usual virginas do not seem as flavorful.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Like cynyr I have smoked menthol cigarettes for more than 20 years so probably don't pick up taste profiles easily either. But I think as well as technique it also takes concentration to pull out the various flavours - and when I am smoking, I really don't want to be concentrating that hard ;)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I say try Moontrance by CAO, if that has no flavor, then aromatics may no longer be your thing! Now Boswells has high quality aros as well, you have to order over the phone as they do not do online orders.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
It isn't your taste buds chocolate is psychological (it is in the head). It is the power of suggestion. I know this because I have used this trick every valentines day. There is no chocolate in that tobacco. :laughat: Your friend James

Status
Not open for further replies.