PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As I continue careening through the halls of tobacciana, I find it interesting how one experience immediately slaps you in the face, while another may build pressure over time, like a Taco Bell lunch outing. This is one of the latter.
Every time there is a bulk blend sale, I try to grab a new flavor to try. As I work for a living, all of you retired farts manage to clean out the most popular selections before I get home. So, I review the dregs and roll the dice.
I'm now firmly a VaPer fan and my burley interest grows daily. This Delta Days, A burley infused VaPer sounded pretty good to me. I was surprised to find only 3 reviews on our favorite review site.
Part of the reason, I think, is the "lack of fireworks". I've come to find that I really like the simple tobacco flavored blends. Of course, I dig all of the fancy stuff with "layers of nuance and innuendo" throughout the flavor profile but I also really like the "meat and potato" blends. This blend is pot roast just like mom makes.
As is customary, my tin (baggie) note observations are sub-par and not worth mention. Kind of sweet, is that a hint of vinegar or my imagination? Not much more.
The Virginias in here share some characteristics of the other H&H VA's I've tried, mainly Marble Kake and Anniversary Kake. A singular bright sweetness with not too much citrus tang and no Heinz experience. A vaguely "maraschino" background.
They use the word "mahogany" to describe the burleys and I concur. If taste translated to a color chart, I think they nailed it. A nutty, somewhat woody companion to the Virginias in complete harmony. Almost a light tanin effect, think freshly hulled walnuts.
After the coals are set, the perique gives a nice, neutral white pepper feel that wafts in and out in strength throughout the bowl. Not much of the plum/fig thing in here, keeping the overall sweetness ghostly and submissive. As you approach the 3rd quarter, a tiny flash of plummi-ness might join hands with the Virginia and, together, they may overtake the pepper note for a moment. Pay attention or you might miss it.
In my Stanwell 185, Delta Days gave a flawless performance. The light and medium ribbons are at optimal moisture from the bag. The only relight was after a quick break to stir the soup on the stove. Billows of tasty smoke without torturing the briar. Not a gurgle in sight and no harsh surprises throughout. A light hand with the tamper keeps it happy from start to finish.
As I increased the throttle towards the end to prolong the ember, a tiny shadow of sour note, clearly a case of burley reminding me of its presence. It felt right at home, though I imagine a freight train approach could amplify it to a less desirable effect. The maraschino stuck to the sour note proportionately and reminded me a bit of the old holiday fruitcake in the tin. As this burley blast waned, things got sweeter again and the mild nocitine-in-the-belly sensation set in, my just reward for my hour's investment.
If you seek forceful or complex results, on to the next one.
If you like a solid burley platform with mild sweet and light pepper, you'll find this entertaining.
jay-roger.jpg

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
Being a fan of the burley's I think this might be a interesting combination. Nice review!

Status
Not open for further replies.