PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Hello all, I am wondering what kind of tobacco will give me the most flavor while smoking while still giving a good room note if possible. I am coming off 30+ years of coffin nails and so far all of the tobaccos I have tried give me a good room note and I enjoy the flavor but it seems as though there should be more. Maybe this will just take time away from the cigarettes for the taste buds to revive. Below is a list of some of the tobaccos I currently have:

Lane 1Q & BCA

Bull Run

Captain Black- White & Royal

Vanilla Black Cavendish

Vermont Meat Candy

Mac Barens 7 Seas Red

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
05venturer,
Some of those aromatics you listed have more than enough sugar flavor, so I'm assuming you're looking for more tobacco flavor.
The thing to keep in mind is that most pipe tobaccos are either Virginia based or Burley based. Virginia has a lot of natural sugar content and has a lot of very full flavor. It burns hot and is fairly low in nicotine. Burley burns cool, has very low natural sugar and therefore very little actual flavor. It's VERY high in nicotine.
Most aromatic tobaccos use burley as a base as it's neutral in flavor and won't conflict with the added flavorings. I think once you get past the sugars and flavorings (and preservatives) of some of the blends you listed, I don't think you're left with much.
I recommend you look for some good quality Virginia and/or VaPer blends to see if they have what you're looking for. Then maybe try some latakia blends.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good info so far.
If you like aromatics give Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake a spin. Its got a nice subtle sweetness but still tastes like tobacco.
Also I find that if I'm dehydrated, my taste buds are extremely dull. Black tea also numbs them, which is a shame since I like to take a break from coffee with it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would recommend you get a tin of Escudo, in my opinion it has a lot of flavor and it was the blend that really made me enjoy my pipes in the beginning.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This is a really hard question for me to answer because "room note" means something quite different for the smoker than it does for others in the room. I know what I enjoy, but it's virtually impossible to know how a blend smells to a nonsmoker without just asking them.
Since you lean toward aromatics (judging from your list), I'll recommend a blend that is sort of an aromatic, sort of an English: Gawith & Hoggarth's "Bob's Chocolate Flake." The smoker definitely gets a cocoa/chocolate flavor mixed in with the burley (and a very small touch of latakia). Since so many burley-based blends tend to be popular with drugstore-tobacco smokers, I'm guessing that this would also play very well with passersby.
Be aware, though, that this is not a "sweet" blend in any way. You won't get a sweet, sugary hit of chocolate. More like unsweetened cocoa, but I think it works really well with the tobaccos in the blend. Also, note that this is presented in long flakes and it requires a good bit of rubbing out.
Bob

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Try some nice VA/Pers like Escudo, Louisiana Red and H&H Anniversary Kake. Looks like you have plenty of flavored tobaccos. Give the naturally sweet and aromatic stuff a go.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think Bigvan and baron have given you some good advice. If you want tobacco flavor, you won't find it in aromatics, no matter how high the quality.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
+1 to what Jud said. It is a trade off. A "good" room note comes from aromatics, but almost all of them lack flavor. It's just the way it is. Give the tobaccos others have mentioned a shot, or forget about room note and just smoke what you like. It's what I had to do.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I've taken to mixing some Middleton's Walnut in with my aro's. The room note still pleases the Mrs., and the Walnut gives something for me to enjoy. I find that RLP-6 gives a little more flavor back than some other aros.

Status
Not open for further replies.