PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
This is a Kaywoodie FlameGrain 99b 4 hole stinger I picked up at an estate sale. A great survivor example that has been spared from the ebay slaughter house of "restorations." The stampings are crisp and the lines are sharp.
oNwXHeyl.jpg

zAaPa41l.jpg

wmbz0oYl.jpg

XMsEJWVl.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Beautiful work Dave !! I like the looks of a bent bull dog with this style of stem much more than a saddle bit stem.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks fellas. I'm a fan of older American brands. I've been collecting pre-1960 Grabow's and LHS pipes, but this one has rekindled my PAD for older Kaywoodies.
@ Al, Is your FlameGrain a 99b? I wonder what the significance of the letter assigned to the shape number means. The rim on mine has a slim bevel. Could that be the difference in 99a and 99b? I did give the briar a stain wash. Some Fiebings brown diluted heavily with alcohol. It doesn't really change the color, it just evens out the tone on a natural finish that has highs and lows.
@jpm, The banding is aluminum and was pitted and oxidized. I masked off the shank and stem leaving only the band exposed, then ran it on the buffer with some compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.