PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Can you please tell me the different between a Flame grain and a Stright grain?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I would consider this straight grain:
Tonni+Nielsen+Brandyglass.jpg

I would consider this flame grain:
Balleby-straight-grain.jpg

In words, flame grain will be more "open" where straight grain will be "tighter."

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
So basically they are almost the same and it is opened to interpretation of the looker?

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
I'm sure it is open to a bit of interpretation, but to my eye the grain pictured upper is much tighter and closer to parallel, evoking a sense of "vertical" straight from bottom to top of the bowl, while the lower picture is more loose and wavy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would definitely call that one a flame grain. Very deceiving description.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Here's a nice little write-up on different grain types and classification: http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2013/03/a-grain-of-truth/
@whitewolf the blogger who wrote the article posted above would agree with you. Straight grain is tight and vertical grain, while flame grain flairs out from heel.
-- Pat

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The word straight grain is overused and usually is an attempt to get a better price so you will encounter many examples of the misuse of the word. Unless the grain lines are parallel to each other through the entire defined area, it is not truly straight grain.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Coincidentally, I read the article Pruss referred this morning. If I were classifying, and if there was doubt, I would categorize as flame grain. I know the general preference is for straight grain but I've seen some awesome pipes with flame grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.