PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I followed you guys' rule of keeping the match half an inch above the bowl to light it.
The issue is, often a flame comes up.
I don't think it's damaging the rim... I don't know. But it doesn't seem "healthy" for the briar.
That said, I'm running into problems:
When I use the flame 1 inch above the bowl in the first "real light", it does the trick ok. No flame.

But on the midway relights, I need to put the match closer to the bowl... No matter how hard I pull, the 1 inch trick won't work. Only the half an inch pull will do. And then the goddamn uprising flame is there.
So... Any tips?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Only hold the match in place while drawing. The flame is rising to meet the source of the flame. Near the end of the draw while lighting, pull the match away from the chamber.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Seems like the perfect technique, thank you.
One more thing, do you think that this uprising flame may have done some damage to my pipes?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Happens to me all the time, and it has never caused a problem. I get the impression that the ember gets so hot that it ignites the molecules of smoke rising from the bowl.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I get that a lot. No worries. But like embers said, remove the match/lighter at the end of your draw.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
That's calming to hear, guys. I thought "here I go again with a gross newbie mistake...". But we're here to learn isn't it?
Thank you!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yup, that we are, all of us. And even old-timers can be surprised on occasion! Happens to me at least once/twice a month. :)
Bill

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
I used to use Matches,then I thought to save the Trees so I use butane lighters.I do not taste any butane,but all this Match talk,maybe I should go back.IDK..Just so much more easier to have a lighter.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
That jumping flame is much better than you holding a flame to the rim. It has never caused any damage for me, except with goopy tobaccos, which like to just light on fire. Follow the above advice and you'll limit the jumping flame. Patience is key. You think you can't pull the flame down because you don't see it going down. The magic to this method is that the heat, not the flame, starts your tobacco. When you slow down and don't pull the flame down, the tobacco will curl and light an ember. It is not as quick, but it tastes much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.