PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
I have just ordered my first flake tobacco (Peterson's University Flake for the extra nicotine hit to see if I can make this new hobby a real contender for my addiction ☺).
So I have read up on packing techniques, but am curious about WHY they came up with flakes?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My impression is that pressing tobaccos helps release sugars and meld flavors. Flakes sometimes have a fermented quality too, that is likely helped along by pressing?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many blends are pressed into blocks to meld flavors and intensify them as well. So slicing the blocks into flakes or plugs is one obvious choice from the blender's point of view. For the consumer, the pressed more solid version, as compared to various loose tobaccos, preserves its flavor a little better, or a lot better, and provides more control over how it is packed in the pipe, whether folded, rubbed out, run through a spice grinder, or whatever. I'd recommend loose tobacco for the new smoker; most of us enjoy some loose tobacco blends. But flakes, plugs, coins, etc., provide a pleasing variety of options for the more experienced pipe smoker.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think that the industry realized that pressing plugs and cutting them into flakes did simulate aging and created a better cure on the leaf for a unique smoke, but I think the idea initially came from saving space. At least that is what I've read.
I agree with ya. Another one of those happy coincidences. Imagine the various ways to strike fire, or the wheel.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
There is something about flakes that seems to enhance the flavors of tobacco. It's my favorite form in the evening when I have the time to prepare it. I'm a rough rub guy. I just can"t seem to get fold and stuff to work for me. I find it hard to get and keep the tobacco lit, most annoying. But no matter how you might choose to smoke it the flavors are always more robust. Only one caveat, they will enviably lead you to experiment with plugs, twists and ropes. Thank God for Mason jars.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm still new to the world of pipe tobaccos, but I can vouch for flakes having a different flavor dimension than their component tobaccos in loose form. They seem to taste bit more complex to me, and a bit mellower.
I've found this to be true regardless of whether the fold n' stuff method is used, or if they're thoroughly rubbed out.

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
These are nice! I just received the packet, folded and stuffed, and spread it out a bit, and it seems to work better than my normal packing attempts. I was impatient, so the tobacco was still quite wet, once it has dried out a bit I think I'll be onto something!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Thank God for Mason jars.
At this point, I find them easier to handle than tins/bags and appreciate the standard form factor. I might be able to get away with tins for your average ribbon cut, but I'd hate to have these ropes/coins dry out and turn into tobacco fluff.

Status
Not open for further replies.