Tags:   

Flake Vs ready rubbed.

(50 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by pipesmoker30
  • Latest reply from scloyd
  1. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

Hello, I have tried a few different pipe tobaccos, all of which have been loose/ready rubbed. Just had a look at my favourite tobacco (st Bruno) it's the same price for ready rubbed as it is for flake. Which one lasts longer? What's better value? Which do you prefer?

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flake, all day long. It's better in every metric.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

Do you rub or fold, fold and pack?

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fold and pack.

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Flake, all day long. It's better in every metric.

How so? I hadn't given this much thought until now, so I'd like to hear more about this.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To me, I get more flavor, a longer smoke, easier to handle and fool proof packing.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

I'm with Ash, in that I prefer the flake St Bruno to the pouch, but I rub my flakes out or cube cut and sprinkle some bits of "tinder" on top. I've also encountered many twigs in the St Bruno pouches, so I just get the flakes and enjoy preparing them to my liking.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

To me, I get more flavor, a longer smoke, easier to handle and fool proof packing.

I've always had bad luck with that approach. I have more experience these days, so maybe I'll give that method another shot.

I rub my flakes out or cube cut and sprinkle some bits of "tinder" on top.

I do the same, but with all my flakes currently.

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personal preference. Every cut has its plusses and minuses. One day its shag, another, flake; another, plug. Rinse and repeat.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  10. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Some say folded flake tastes better because it burns more slowly, others claim rubbed tastes better because more oxygen is incorporated into the smoke. To me it seems that folded flake is preferred by those who have mastered the art of the pipe. I'm a rubber, myself.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 months ago #
  11. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

those who have mastered the art of the pipe.

Well, I also worked in a bait and tackle shop.......

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are several cuts of tobacco. Try them all. They're great!

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to cube cut most of the time except when I was smoking outside where I would fold and stuff. Now I fold and stuff everything. I even began folding and stuffing my Samuel Gawith flakes after figuring out how much moisture is needed for it to burn like I want it to. The SG flakes were the last of my cube cut hold outs.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  14. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With St. Bruno, I prefer the RR, it has more flavor from the sauce in my opinion and it’s a lot cheaper than the Flake. Usually I prefer my cuts in this order, Plug, Flake, RR, Ribbon. If anything is available in a Plug I’ll get the plug first and so on.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

IV never heard of plug just flake and ready rubbed. I'm guessing plug is another way of using flake? No idea. Thanks for your comments

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke a lot of flakes. I usually rub out but will fold and stuff on occasion. Some flakes smoke better folded and some smoke better rubbed.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plugs are blocks of whole leaf tobacco layered and then pressed, not to be confused with crumble cake, crumble cakes are made from ribbon cut that is pressed, I much prefer plugs. Plugs give you a deep, rich and complex smoke that only that cut can offer. Flakes are simply cut from the plug tobacco. RR is simply just flake tobacco rubbed out, ribbon cut is actually put in a tobacco shreader of sorts, same thing with shag, just a finer cut. Rope is another fine cut that I put up there with plugs. You also have coin and spun cut. Getting to know all of the different cuts and how they smoke and finding out what you prefer is a lot of fun.

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. retrogrouch

retrogrouch

Login to Send PM

Slices of plug tobacco are flakes. Slices of rope tobacco are coins.

Whoops, beat me to it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer the flakes. It seems that they have better flavor to me.

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I also worked in a bait and tackle shop.......

So you're a master baiter?

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  21. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

Wow this interesting, I'm a complete virgin with pipe tobaccos, seems I need to do alot of research. I enjoy st Bruno, I don't mind clan, I enjoy captain black original (currently smoking) and captain black royal. Wasn't keen on the dark, I don't like gold block. I have tried a few flavoured ones like cherry but not overly impressed. My go to ones are captain black and st Bruno. I am yet to try seven seas. Another one was recommended to me and that's Erinmore which im still yet to try.

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flake/coin/plug/rope keep better longer, and perhaps the constituent ingredients meld a little better. They require more effort and time to prep, but for some, the ritual increases the anticipatiion and enjoyment. However, loose tobacco of all and various cuts is easier to use, and easy is often a very good thing. I have enjoyed all of the above. I don't feel it is a big step down to pack loose tobacco.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

I agree, I believe it all boils down to personal preference and what you enjoy.

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Flake and you could always fully rub the tobacco so...

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flake and you could always fully rub the tobacco so...
    you have the option to cube cut/stuff/ or rub out...(Also plug same way)...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  26. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

I was answering to the query " Flake Vs ready rubbed. "

I find the plug better than the flake as the flavors meld even more.

Posted 2 months ago #
  27. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

Smokingpipes "Know Your Cuts"

Sometimes a picture is what's needed. This blog post from smokingpipes.com shows what each cut looks like.

Posted 2 months ago #
  28. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I fold and stuff and occasionally cube cut it, but never rub out a flake anymore. The tobacco tends to smoke longer in flake or coin. Also I get more flavor whole than when I rub it out, which to me is counter-intuitive, seeing as how you have more surface area going, but the tobacco always seems watered down if rubbed.

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer flake overall. However, there are other cuts that are regulars in my rotation.

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

Has anyone tried Erinmore? I may give it ago use that as my first flake if it's any good

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Think it would be a good starter pipesmoker30, nothing not to like about it and the flakes are uniform and easy to use either broken down or left whole.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Erinmore is one of my favorites, especially in the summer. It will have an off-putting tin aroma, but that does not translate into the taste of the smoke. It has a very fruity-like flavor. I compare it to Juicy Fruit Chewing gum. But, it is a very balanced flavor with the tobacco, IMO.

But, I hate the ready rubbed version of Erinmore . It has a different flavor profile, for some strange reason.

I generally prefer the flake versions, even if I rub them out myself. They seem to age better, and have better flavor. The ready rubbed versions of the ones that I have tried just seem to lack complexity... or, the topping/casing just doesn't shine through as well. The Vanilla Flake verses the ready rubbed Vanilla Flake are like two totally different blends, IMO.

Whether I cube cut, rub it out, wad it, or fold and stuff, the flake versions just give you more options, along with better aging characteristics, and overall flavor. YMMV But, some really like the ready rubbed versions, so it's all a matter of opinion.

Michael
    Posted 2 months ago #
  33. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

Just took the plunge and got st Bruno flake, fold, fold and stuff method, so far I prefer it to the ready rubbed. Easier to pack, cooler smoke, stronger taste and aroma. I have also got coming in the post Erinmore mixture, is there much difference to the 2? I got that one because they offer it in a 25g pouch so wanted to try it before forking out for 50g tin, I also got seven seas original coming with the Erinmore aswell. I have tried the captain black original and liked that so hopefully I will like the sevenseas version aswell

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Erinmore Flake is great stuff. While it’s not a powerhouse, it doesn’t pack a decent nicotine hit.

Posted 1 week ago #
  35. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

I don't think it's necessarly a nicotine hit I'm after, I just enjoy the taste and aroma of a pipe.

Posted 1 week ago #
  36. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Erinmore Flake is a great one, whereas in all probability them RR version must be whole different tobacco under the same brand- as for the flake tobacco goes,I prefer fold&stuff especially with my pipes with narrow chambers nonetheless must admit,I have often a hard time to keep them lit when folded, Personally, I prefer St Bruno RR over the flake since I find taste being more intense,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  37. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

I'll gladly pay $5 more to get the flake version of something and then when I smoke it, 9 times out of 10 I'll rub it out because I guess I'm an insane person.

Even as a rub it out guy I know you ready rubbed people are heathens.

Posted 1 week ago #
  38. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

Ah now having tried both st Bruno's I prefer the flake, I will buy the flake again, probably won't buy the RR again. Is there much/any difference between Erinmore and Erinmore mixture? IV got the mixture one to try and if I like it go for the flake Erinmore. The Erinmore mixture and seven seas arrived today so gonna be trying the Erinmore mixture tonight. Once IV used either the Erinmore or the st Bruno I will try the seven seas.

Posted 1 week ago #
  39. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Erinmore Flake is one of my top dogs as well but it is different than Erinmore Mixture. Whereas St. Bruno RR is just the Flake slightly rubbed out (for $4 cheaper a pouch), Erinmore Mixture is an entirely different blend than Erinmore Flake, confusing I know. I’m pretty sure it also contains black Cavendish where Erinmore Flake is just Burley and VA. See Cosmics post above.

Personally, I prefer St Bruno RR over the flake since I find taste being more intense,

paul, I totally agree with you on this.

Posted 1 week ago #
  40. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

Ok that's interesting to know, you have both said they taste different ie nothing alike lol. I will say the only one I have really hated to the point where I've thrown it away is gold block that's so far.

Posted 1 week ago #
  41. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually smoke plug or twist but recently I been smoking the odd flake tobacco and if I had to choose I would certainly go with St Bruno flake.

Posted 1 week ago #
  42. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

Condor is on my list to try

Just tried the Erinmore mixture, not a bad smoke, I enjoy it, abit different to my usual but in a good way.

Posted 1 week ago #
  43. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is completely,100%, a matter of personal preference. Explore, sample, decide what you like best.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 week ago #
  44. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

That's true, if we was all the same there wouldn't be so many choices out there.

Posted 1 week ago #
  45. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Condor is on my list to try

Fact: Condor is the best tobacco ever made.

Posted 1 week ago #
  46. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I like St Bruno in both the Flake and the RR. The RR seems to have a bit more topping, and for me, both benefit from some drying time, which I find intensifies the flavors. Fold and stuff doesn't work for me because of the lack of drying time and the subsequent the loss of flavor.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 week ago #
  47. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

Flakes are interesting. I am still learning to smoke them. Haven’t had too much luck with fold and stuff, preferring to rub them out most of the time. The best smokes I have had is after plenty of drying time first. So if travelling I usually take a ribbon or ready rubbed blend with me.

Erinmore Flake has a nice flavour. I see it as more of an aromatic.

Posted 1 week ago #
  48. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find that the flake is better, the tobacco has longer to marry and the top dressing sets in better, in my opinion. I also prefer a plug when there is an option. I guess the longer everything is pressed together the better for me.

Posted 1 week ago #
  49. pipesmoker30

pipesmoker30

Login to Send PM

I'm still yet to try plug, I prefer flake, fold and stuff. I like to try RR for a new tobacco I'm trying as RR is usually cheaper and if I like it then next time I get the flake version.

Posted 1 week ago #
  50. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy St. Bruno Flake, Erinmore Flake, Bothy Flake and Bob's Chocolate Flake. I rub them all out. I just can't get a handle on the fold and stuff.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   svii, jaygreen55, papipeguy, fishnbanjo, spartacus, georged, renfield, pipestud, ben88, morgansteele