PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
Hello lovely people of the pipe world. I've been smoking pipes for around 3 years now and I would consider myself somewhat of a beginner when it comes to knowledge. In my personal experience what I've found consistently is that flakes almost always tend last better than other tobacco types. My latest example would be I got one tin of Ilsted's Golden Flake and one tin of Dunhill Nightcap two weeks ago. While the Flake is almost the same as the first day, Nightcap while still retaining that beautiful aroma and lovely flavour has now come to burn faster and hotter and therefore my enjoyment has deteriorated quite considerably. Is this a statement that you would agree or is there a mistake of my own? That's what I'd like to know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Flakes will retain moisture longer. Try loading the pipe with Nightcap, blow through the stem of the pipe until you feel warm air rising from the bowl, and light the pipe. This will rehydrate the blend a bit and slow the burn and refresh a bit of the flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Flake, coin, plug, and rope expose fewer edges than tobacco cut in smaller pieces and so definitely retain moisture longer, plug and rope best of all. They often give you a slow even smoke and will give a full-length smoke in a smaller pipe for clenching and lunting.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Flake or otherwise, tobacco is best jarred once the original packaging has been opened. This way it stays fresher for considerably longer, allowing the smoker to not worry about the leaf drying out.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I like them all. Nice to load a uniform ribbon, easy peasy. But also enjoy rubbing out everything else. I like variety in presentation.I have no preference. Seems like most do, I don't. Love'em all.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Past a certain temperature, taste is lost to heat.

Regulating your technique according to the cut will help you to reach smolder.

Techniques: prep, pack, cadence and tamp. Do you char your Nightcap, tamp it slightly, then relight?

Is your draft so wide open that you tend to draw too much?

Adjustments can be made.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I have limited experience with flake tobacco but i never really got the hang of using it. Tried folding with limited success and rubbing it out i think it still was too moist to smoke. Ribbon is proving good for a newbie..

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
In the 16 months or so of me taking to the pipe I seem to have steered myself almost exclusively to flake and plug tobaccos. This was not a conscious move, it just turned out that way and I have no idea why other than the bulk of my preferred blends only come in flake or plug form, some both.
A couple of exceptions would be Mellow Virginia and Royal Yacht which are both ribbon/shag cut.
I can fill a particular pipe with prepared plug tobacco and get a smoke lasting nigh on two hours but in the very same pipe filled with a ribbon/shag cut blend the smoke will be around half that duration or even less.
Also the difference twixt a flake and a plug of the same blend such as Erinmore, St. James or FVF is very noticeable, the plug version always being the better smoke both in depth of flavour and duration of smoke.
Just my thoughts :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
I always char, tamp and relight. I'll try blowing through the stem, sounds interesting. Thanks for the responses.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I'll try blowing through the stem, sounds interesting..."
Do be very careful when doing that when the bowl is fired up...I did it once when I had a blockage on a straight bulldog and got the shock of my life when the whole contents of the bowl suddenly erupted all over the place!
Granted, only a one off but am well careful now about blowing back down a lit pipe to clear a blockage. Better to poke it backwards with a pipecleaner.
Regards,
Jay.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
I think chasingembers was suggesting blowing when it wasn't lit to moisturize before lighting. Blowing air through a lit pipe can only be a bad experience :D I tried it this morning and I think it worked to some degree. The smoke felt much better.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The more I smoke the various cuts the more I find plug, rope and cake (or flake) to be the best and most flavorful. You have to work a little more at them but the rewards are worth it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Loose tobacco sure is easier and quicker to pack out of the tin. I solve this by rubbing out, cutting, etc., before drying flake/coin/plug/rope in a bowl a few pipe bowls at a time. But when I'm feeling lazy, that loose tobacco is great in its own right.

montalslog

Lurker
Jan 21, 2016
I tend to cut and rub rope at the end of the day in preparation to have it ready for the next morning. I do it at the same time as packing my lunch, and think of it in the same manner - a bit of effort now for the pleasant convenience later.
Weekends however, I'll savor the prepwork as I have the time.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I tend to cut and rub rope at the end of the day in preparation to have it ready for the next morning."
Montal, I do the same with my plug tobaccos, slice, cut and rub out then leave to air overnight. This technique I happened upon by accident a few weeks ago and it works a treat for me.
"...part of it is commissioned pipes designed for flakes."
Crash, can you please explain how a pipe can be 'designed for flakes'? What particular criteria distinguishes a 'flake pipe' from a say 'plug pipe' or a 'rope pipe'? I'm intrigued.
I have certain pipes that smoke particular blends better than others but am not aware of any of my pipes being specifically a good 'flake pipe' over any other cuts of tobacco.
Regards,
Jay.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Pots are great for flakes! I much prefer flakes to other cuts. I use the fold and tuck method almost exclusively.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Jay, for a flake pipe a narrower chamber and a tapered draught hole can help a lot. But this is as opposed to say, ribbon tobacco. Plug and rope will usually benefit from the same type of pipe. I go to Tim Thorpe, who is so passionate about his flakes that his engineering has evolved specifically for his flakes.

tschiraldi, I agree. I can't remember the last time I rubbed a flake, just fold it and stuff it right in there. It took me a few months to get the hang of it, but now it smokes better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.