Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I'm new to flake tobaccos. Do most of you rub out (or cube cut) as you go, or is it OK to rub out the entire tin and then store in a mason jar? Would rubbing out the entire tin allow for a little more drying time, and do flakes require any more (or less) drying time than ready rubbed?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It really depends on the flake as to drying time. Some flakes, like Solani 633, is pretty much ready to go out of the tin but something like Full Virginia Flake will need a lot of drying time. I have a halogen lamp for another hobby and will place the tobacco on a tray under that. It puts off a decent amount of heat so it dries the tobacco rather quickly. Still, FVF or St. James Flake can take a good 20 minutes under the lamp.
I find it better to rub out before drying as once the flake is dry, it will not rub out well. You could prepare the whole tin, I typically will do enough to fill three to five bowls at a time. It will dry faster if rubbed out in my experience.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I'll cube cut thick flakes, like McClellands, and let them dry in large quantities, then ziplock and toss em in a tin.
Thin flakes I cube and dry as I go......just takes 30 min of prep....

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
You have to experiment what works best for you. I've played around with cube-cutting and usually only do it with thick cut flakes like the Gawaith stuff. For thinner flakes, I tend to leave it as is and fold and stuff. Hell, sometimes I fold and stuff the Gawaith stuff too. If you only rub-out or cube-cut in advance, then go for it but you write out the possibility to try something different with it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If you're gonna mason jar them for aging purposes then don't rub them out and then store. Them away. That's just more work than is necessary.
When I'm ready smoke a flake I will take a flake or two out of the jar and let is dry if it needs it and then cube or rub it out when I'm ready. I let the flake dry whole just in case I forget about it. This way it will still retain some moisture because it will take much longer to dry if you leave it in flake form.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
I am new to flakes as well. The one I'm struggling with is SG Full Virginia Flake. I'm cubing and drying. Think I need to dry it out more before I smoke it? Or should I rub it out rather than cube and then dry?
Regardless if a certain tobacco is widely regarded by the pipe community, if you can't smoke it because you didn't get the prep right it a frustrating experience.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I do the Herman Fold method. Far too secret to explain. :nana:
Though here is the Mac Baren's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9tzmB0JInY
Enjoy :puffy:

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I would commit your tinned flakes directly into a jar directly from the tin. Further, if you want to rub out your flakes do it when loading each pipes. If you rub out your flakes before you commit to the jar the tobacco will dry out too much. The two methods that you usually hear about are hand rubbing or folding flake tobacco into your pipe. Since I usually smoke Gawith Virginia blends which run very moist I actually tear my flakes before inserting into my pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cube cut my flakes then dry them before each bowl if drying is necessary. Many of my flakes do not need any drying and are ready to smoke out of the tin. If I am folding and stuffing, I use flakes that are not as dense as say Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, flakes like F&T CVP are easier to fold and stuff.
titus, I have found that cubing FVF into very small cubes and smoking it in a group 4 Dublin works very well. It really does need the proper drying to get it to smoke right.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I typically rub out my flakes, and I'll let them dry after rubbing them out. Sometimes I'll do the fold and stuff method and I'll let them dry before I fold and stuff... obviously. When I let them dry I'll usually leave them out for about 20 minutes or so before smoking.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I cube-cut (or sometimes rub out) a whole tin and then dry to my preferred moisture level-- after which I'll close the tin tightly, put it in a ziplock and forget about it for a couple of weeks. I find that all Va flakes taste better to me after a good airing out and some drying. I see nothing wrong with drying an entire tin as long as you keep it stored well.

Status
Not open for further replies.