PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bijimangga

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
Hallo all...

It been 3 month be a pipe smoker and I quite adapt to smoke several blend without feel vitamin N sickness. But recently try a flake tobacco like Solani burley flake, SG virginia & McConnell latakia flake. They all make me want to throw up, and have to laying in bed for 1-2 hour to get rid the sickness.

I really like those blend but cant withstand the punch, are my methods of smoking is wrong? Need advise from fellow smokers here.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It happens. And some people react to N worse than others. Personally, I almost never sense nicotine, and I wish I could. One trick is to slow down as ashdigger mentions. Another is to keep sugar packets around while smoking. Dump a packet in your mouth after 10 minutes of smoking and that tends to help the queasy feeling.

If I may ask... what is your native language?
Also, flakes don't necessarily have more nicotine, especially those. If a new smoker, as Ashdigger mentioned, drink something sweet or nibble on some chocolates while smoking.
Nicotine floods your blood with sugars and then drops off quickly, leaving you needing more sugars. This is what that nicotine poisoning, gut wrench feeling is from. If you nibble or sip some sugar, you will be fine... until you are a full on tobacco junky like the rest of us. :puffy:

bijimangga

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
@Cosmic, I'm asian btw, sorry if my english a little bit messy
I drink hot chocolate while smoking, sometimes coffe, but not really helping with flake tobacco...maybe have i have to wait a little longer to smoke another blend and back to Flake.

bijimangga

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
<p>@crashthegrey no i dont inhale, only at the first 2-3 puff i inhale a little bit from nose just to taste the delicious aroma

Crash, it's actually a psychological thing. Tell someone who is trying to figure something out that "maybe they can't hack it," and they'll find a way to make it work.
Steve Martin says that if you want someone to grow up to be the most amazing artist in the world, take them to a museum and tell them point blank... "you can't do this." And, they will grow up to be Rembrandts.
I see guys all green with their heads pressed to the cold wall of the bathroom of the cigar shop, after throwing up... "You probably aren't strong enough to handle cigars." Then, I see them a week later smoking Triple ligeros and laughing with the rest of the men.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
When I feel the nicotine becoming a problem for me I eat a little dab of honey and it is amazing how quick it stops the room from spinning.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Hi Biji...here is a quote from someone that tried the McConnell flake you are smoking...and I found several other reviews of a similar type
"One of the strongest Latakia blends I've tried. Nicotine addicts with a penchant for Latakia will eat this one up"
My advice would be to go to something milder, especially if you are just starting out.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
And here's another quote from a review a few lines down to add to my earlier post above
"Robert McConnell's Latakia flake is like nothing I have smoked before. This is for the unconditional Latakia lover and novices should stay away from it."

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I embrace the warm blanket of a nicotine buzz!
I have definitely been thrown for a loop a few times though. Crooner caught me by surprise once and of course Five Brothers but I was expecting that one.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
When I already know that certain blend is high in nicotine then I will have to take different,approach to it,that means, smaller chambered pipe, no smoking on empty stomach and slower smoking cadence + wiskey-soda on the rocks as beverage,Yes,I confess,I have had learning this all hard way starting with cuban cigars in my boyhood.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few suggestions: Use filter pipes if you don't already, until you get your footing and know what is too strong and what not. Read the profile specifications on blends on the online retailers; they're all rated for strength, which mostly refers to nicotine; go for the mild ones. As mentioned, sip the smoke, don't puff; learn to keep the pipe lit without dragging on it, which is easy with fairly dry loose tobacco. Don't smoke flake until you have experience with various loose cut blends. Hope some of this helps. Go slow. No more pipe smoking require bed rest.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
I usualy drink something sweet with my pipe but if i smoke something that is a bit heavy on the vitamin N. I just put the pipe away for a while when i feel it's getting abit to much and continue smoking when it calms down

Status
Not open for further replies.