PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
I cannot seem to get flake to smoke as well as I would normally like. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on smoking flake, and packing a flake bowl. Here is a video I found; this is how I normally try and pack a bowl with flake. By the way, getting nasty storms in the Mid-West right now. My English bulldog is shaking under a blanket at all the lighting and thunder.
Packing a Bowl with Flake

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I find rubbing it out works best for me, some flakes rub out better than others as well though. If I don't rub it out I usually cube it and gravity load the bowl and no packing.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Being extremely high class(yeah right!) I ust the ancient method of just grabbing a flake and mushing it up a bit followed by stuffing it loosely in a pipe. Works well for me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I basically do what Arthur does but I also take some of the finer peices (dust) ans sprinkle it on top; sort of like tinder. Once it gets going it stays lit and smokes cool.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
If the flake is thicker, I generally rub it out. If is thin ie: Escudo etc. I fold once or twice and stuff being careful not to push down too hard. Another thing that I do, if there seems to be much moisture I dry it out for a while bfore loading. If you use the stuff method it is a good idea to break up some tobak right at the top of bowl to make it easier to light.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I usually do as unclearthur does. I find Penzance is easiest to work with in this vein.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
You need to bear in mind that there are two different types of sliced tobacco and that they have very different burn characteristics.
The cake type, like Penzance or Captain Earle's, is typically made from tobacco that has been processed into a coarse-cut form and then pressed and sliced. Sliced cake blends are usually very easy to rub out and are normally pretty easy to light and require few re-lights.
The plug type is made from tobacco that is still in the whole leaf form with only the large veins removed. Cut plug slices are usually much more tightly compacted and require a little more effort to get them to burn well. I generally like to rub out the slices pretty well but leaving about half in a fairly coarse rub. If you've been having burn problems let the tobacco dry for 15 or 20 minutes before packing your bowl.
Take a minute to sort out the finer rubbed tobacco and start packing your bowl with the larger, coarser pieces. Even when rubbed out, sliced plug is still pretty compressed and you have to allow room for the tobacce to expand as it heats up and starts to burn so pack the bottom half of your bowl loosely. If you think that it's way too loose, it's probably just about right. As you get the bowl nearly full, place the finest shreds on the top to help get the bowl lit. Level off the top of your bowl but do it lightly, you can always tamp it down later if it's too loose. Unless I'm outside, I prefer to use large wooden matches. They have a softer flame than a lighter and allow you more time to get it lit without overheating the tobacco.
It takes some practice to find out what works best for you, so expect to have some re-lights. As you gain experience you'll find that it becomes much easier so don't get discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.