PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I live in a spot that is not usually windy so to be honest, I've never explored flake much. Lately though, I have been in one location that seems to get the brunt of what wind we do see, funneled right through it. This has me thinking flake. The one flake I have is Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake and it's hard to fault. Any suggestions for other medium to mellow flake that I should try that are in the same general vicinity, flavor and strength wise? Readily available in America would be preferred.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
MacBaren Navy Flake is a good smoke. Burley, VA and Cavendish with a rum topping. You could also try ODF, PIF or PUF all readily available from P&C.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thank you, I've definitely seen the MacBaren Navy around. I'll have to give it a try, the description sounds good but you never know till it' in your pipe.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've never smoked the Newminster, but here are a few flakes that it think you might enjoy.
Mac Baren Mixture Flake

Mac Baren Navy Flake

Mac Baren Roll Cake

Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster

Orlik Golden Sliced

Peterson University Flake

Mac Baren Dark Twist
And for some good medium Va/Pers;
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Escudo

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Some good suggestions given here. Another 'tasty' tobacco, as it were, is Mac Barren HH Old Dark Fired albeit it contains some Burly. Other than that, I'm somewhat confused about what 'wind' has to do with choosing a type of tobacco?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Well, like I said, I don't have much experience with it myself so this is just my understanding based on what I've been told or read. I've always heard that using a fold and stuff with flake produces a slower burning and less affected by the wind bowl with less relights. I've also been told that is why most Navy blends tend to be flake but again, pretty much hearsay. Smoking the Newminster in those conditions seemed to support the theory and it's hard to beat the convenience of fold and stuff when your outside. Thanks for the suggestions, I have much more experience with curly, ribbon and shag.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Look into some of the McClellands VA flakes. I ordered some Blackwoods Flake a while back, and it is excellent. they offer many straight VA Flakes, and they are all high quality.
+1 to MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired, great smoke.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Or you could just buy a wind cap. They keep the ash from just blowing out.

The thought crossed my mind but I am actually looking forward to experimenting with more flake. One of the reasons I stayed away from it in my early and experimenting days, was pure misconception. I had only run across full flavor flakes that were a bit too strong for my taste. I incorrectly associated the two due to limited selection and even though I corrected this later, I never did try too many flakes. I look forward to going through this list.

plumbersdope

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
I would have too put G.L. Pease's Union Square and C & D Exhausted rooster on the flake list as well. I really enjoy Exhausted rooster. I also got a tin of F&T Vintage today that I opened very lovely looking flake as well cant wait too burn a bowl.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm a big fan of Samuel Gawith's Navy Flake: A "standard" VA/Bur flake flavored very lightly with rum.
I'm currently starting to work my way through a tin of G&H Rum Flake, and it may also fit the bill for you. My first bowl was in a Lakeland-dedicated pipe, since I'd heard that this one is also scented. . . but I'm going to try it next in my VA/Bur-flake pipes; I really didn't notice any "Lakeland" flavors during that first bowl. My tin is from 2007, though, so time may have altered this one a bit.
Bob

I'm just guessing with some of these suggestions that many may not be familiar with Newminsters Superior Navy. I love it and live it. I have smoked about a pound and have five more in the cellar. It's not an all natural Virginia, as it is almost an honey aromatic.
Another flake in this same genre is Former's Private Stock. It is lightly cased with apple, but not in the same way most aromatics are cased. It is very light, just enough to compliment the sweet light Virginias and leave an after taste on your teeth as if you've just enjoyed an apple cider. If you like Superior Navy, you'll really like this one.
Also, Mac Baron's Virginia #1, which is much lighter in the casing, but it has that same sweetness, just not as sweet. But, if you like that Superior Navy tingle on the tongue, you'll really like #1. I like to switch between the two throughout the day sometimes, to keep the honey in the Superior fresh on the palate when I get back to it in the rotation.
Also, Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake has a casing that reminds me of fresh leather cowboy boots in the box. It smokes sweet and that casing is awesome.
I wish there were more of these lightly aromatic flakes, especially in the honey family. I've really come to love that sweet smoke.

Oh, and Holger Danske Original Mild Orange. It is not cased, but a Virginia blended with an orange cavedish. The aromatic is very light and although a rough cut, it smokes a lot like a flake.
Also MacBaron's Vanilla Flake. It is another that is not cased, but mixed with a cavendish also, but they've pressed it into flakes. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.