PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
First of all, I know how charitable so many of you are, and will be anxious to rush off sending me tins of your favorite flakes: Don't Do It! I can afford to get my own flakes. But until judcole showed me how you can just stuff flakes into the pipe without elaborate cutting, I had avoided flakes for that reason. I got a tin of Uuniversity Flake and found that pleasant, so now I want to move into other flakes, and hence am here to ask for (limited) recommendations. I like flovered aros, but I don't know if these can be found in flakes. Assuming that they do, and that I like a mild Virginia (my goto tobacco is 5100 Red Cake and Trout Steam), which ones would you recommend? I particularly like sweet tobacco, vanillas, chocolates, cherry, honey, and so forth. What, and only a few please, would you recommend for my next TAD order?

andypandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake is a virginia with noticable sweetness. I like it and advice you to try a couple of ounces.

PS:I also struggle with uncut flakes. What's this method you've learned?

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm going to second PS luxury twist but add Dunhill Flake. Also if you like Perique try Saloni 633 and Orlik Golden Sliced and PS Luxury Flake

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Gwaith & Hoggarth Bright CR flake. It's top notch, naturally sweet, not too strong. One of my favorites.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Two I really like are Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake and Erinmore Flake. Bob's Chocolate Flake has a light dark chocolate flavouring and just a hint of latakia, and Erinmore Flake has an apricot-like fruitiness.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
If you like 'sweet' tobacco (sweetened by toppings), such as chocolate, vanilla, honey as you've mentioned, you may like Planta's Danish Black Vanilla Flake (aromatic) or Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake (just a hint of aromatic).

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
My two favorite flakes are really hard to find, but really rewarding when you find them: Aylesbury Luxury Flake and Stonehaven. LF is really easy to prepare by flake standards, while Stonehaven takes a bit of technique to dry and load properly. In the mean time, I recommend Gawith St. James Flake to brush up on your flake technique.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I find the following tend to the sweeter on of the spectrum. With F&T flakes I get occasional flavor burst that reminds me of Juicy Fruit.
-Any of the Stokkebye flakes

-Orlik Golden Sliced

-Capstan Yellow

-F&T Special Brown

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Wish I could help ya, but aromatics are just not my thing albeit I wish I liked them considering that they, for the most part, smell so damn good. But, other than that all of them are insipid as to taste for me. I find the closest thing I've come to what could be considered as an 'aromatic' flake tobacco is University Flake but you've already tried that delicious tobacco. I also on occasion smoke Erinmore and GW Chocolate flake and they do, to some extent, deliver a somewhat sweet taste.
I'm not one who is too keen on recommending tobaccos just as much I dislike recommending a restaurant. However I just recently ran across some blends from Uhle's and their Perfection Plug Burely is fantastic. It's not a flake tobacco but a cube cut burley that to my utter amazement is quite sweet with a nice room note. I've been smoking it for the past three days and I love it. But, as always YMMV and it's just out there for your consideration.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
sparrowhawk wrote:

I particularly like sweet tobacco, vanillas, chocolates, cherry, honey, and so forth.
Although I also enjoy SG Full Vieginia Flake, Escudo. Rattrays Marlin Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced,

Capstan Yellow, etc. I've never considered them as 'sweet' in an 'aromatic' sense as to what sparrowhawk seems to be looking for. Nonetheless, all good tobaccos.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The problem with flavored flakes is that they really don't have much flavor. The flakes I have mentioned have more natural sweetness and full flavor than any flavored flake I've ever had hands down. Though Solani offers a mango flake. Might want to give that one a try. I like there Burley, Vaper, and Latakia flakes.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Gentlemen, thank you all. Obviously, I can't get all of your recommendations, but I just ordered the Luxury Twist, Bright CR, Bob's Chocolate, and came across some Sutliff Black Vanilla. That's a start. Thank you all! And I've written down the remaining recommendations to order in the future when I see how these come out. I'm sure they'll be fine since University Flake was good, but a rather ordinary blend.

PS: Had to try my own hand and made my own blend, henceforth to be called Fly By Night, composed of Red Virginia, Dark Cavendish, chocolate and vanilla. Hopefully that won't blow up in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.