PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I recently have been hooked on to Peterson's University and Peterson's Irish flakes thanks to Jerry the Wizard at my B&M who can read my tastes so well! I was wondering what other flakes people enjoy for me to try. I really am liking everything about them from the preparation to the smoke itself!

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
There is something relaxing in preparing a flake for the bowl. Almost like a light starter before a fine meal. Have you tried Dunhill Flake, which I smoke when I fancy a change from University Flake. Another that I am really enjoying at the moment is Germain Loose Rich Dark Flake which is a very gentle and smooth smoke.
If you fancy going the other way then Samuel Gawith Navy Flake is a good strong flavour and if you have a high nicotine tolerance Samuel Gawith 1792 has a kick like an enraged donkey!
I'm sure others will add some of their favourite US blends for you to think about.
Happy sampling :puffy:

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I was eying the Dunhill Flake but hadn't heard anything about it.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If you also like latakia/English blends, I know C&D makes some in flake form. It's something different from the usual flakes, I personally like them because I appreciate some of the advantages flakes offer but I really only go for latakia blends. It's not a "jerkey strip" flake packaging like Peterson's though, Star of the East at least comes as a jumble of broken but fair-sized flakes.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
It's well worth a try as it does ant have any big flavours that might put you off. There are some reviews of Dunhill Flake here
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=F&TID=4109
And
http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/dunhill-flake

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Orlik Golden Slice is a nice mild citrusy flake, Erinmore flake is good too.
for a fun medallion maybe try some Luxury bullseye flake

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Rattray Marlin Flake is Fantastic. Sweet, sticky, rich, it really has a over ripe raisin sweetness I love. It burns smoothly too, even if you just rub it out thickly. I know I harp on this stuff all the time but I think it's terrific.

Jul 12, 2011
+1/Dunhill Flake, Marlin and Orlik; all outstanding flakes
Some others you might try;

MB's ODF

Solani's 660 & 633 flake

F&T's CVP

Wessex's Dark Flake

Wessex's Gold Brick

SG's St James, 1792 & Bracken flake

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Peter Stokkebye's Luxery Bullseye Flake is a nice vaper with more depth in flavor than Dunhill's or Escudo's flake. I think the Cavendish really improves the blend. My two favorites right now are Full Virginia Flake (high flavor and depth) and Orlik Golden Sliced (High flavor, unique) for the VA side and my favorite English flake is Penzance (complex, lots of flavor), which is simply amazing.
If you love VA flakes, I would get some Full Virginia Flake, it's a blend everyone must try, however it is not always easy to get and it comes so very wet, it requires loads of drying time and even then you may try it too wet and not "get it," since it is very easy to dry it until the outside appears dry enough but the inside of the flake may still be too wet. Orlik Golden Sliced is a truly easy to obtain, cheap as hell tobacco that has wonderful flavor and depth for a straight VA (minimal perique), it doesn't require the dry time FVF does, but it does need a little. Penzance is about as bad as FVF when it comes to drying, I find it a little less of a pain because it comes in smaller flakes that break up easy.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm currently working on a tin of Dan Tordenskjold Virginia Slices -- not to be overlooked.

Also from Dan, Hamborger Veermaster, quite good.

Oh, and then there's the Fribourg & Treyer line, led by Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage.

Who can put together a list of flakes that omits Mac Baren's Navy, Virginia, and ODF flakes?

Finally, a flake eclipsed by the ever popular Full Virginia Flake is Sam Gawith's Medium Virginia Flake

-- a blend that can hold its own against any of the others already mentioned -- except, perhaps, for S/G's venerable St. James Flake.
Oh, so many insanely good flakes! So little time! :crying:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
+1 MVF, that is also wonderful, I use it if I want FVF, but don't have the time to bother with it (didn't dry it yet, or something). The bulk version is called "Medium Virginia Flake" but the tinned version (easy to get) is called "Golden Glow." Confusing right?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'll add my recommendations for BBF and Dunhill Flake. SG Navy Flake has a nice touch of latakia, and their Balkan Flake has quite a bit - but no balkan tobaccos, I believe.:)

I am also fond of Ben Hartwell Signature, which doesn't get mentioned here very often. My supply is a little low; I need to pick up another tin or 5.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Normally on a thread like this I would put up my list of favorite flakes, however since I began doing this, most of my favorites are now out of stock and my friends are telling me to stop posting the list. I never thought people were actually paying attention to it but until I am fully stocked, I ain't posting it any more. Sorry Quincy I hate to be a selfish prick, but people have told me they are coming to my house and shooting me if I post the list again.
There are some great suggestions on this thread so you will have to make do with those.
Ok guys, I didn't post it. Can I get rid of the armed guards now?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
look at Gawith Hoggarth flakes there are some really nice ones in there and much easier to come by then the SG stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.