PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
A guy walks in to a kitchen store; he sees herb chopping scissors on sale. Decides to try them on a different leaf.They work ... kinda?
4nx2SDf.jpg

KeDL8Ys.jpg

They could be sharper, trying to make 5 concurrent cuts doesn't really help the problem. Also, the flake tries to squeeze itself between the blades, and because there are 10 hinged together, there is enough wiggle room to do so. The result isn't terribly uniform -- which was kind of the allure of this setup.
Jii0pYB.jpg

It does turn out, however, that this resulting bastardized cube-cut smoked wonderfully. I may try to sharpen the scissors in some way and see if that helps. If it turns out that I just use these on cilantro and thyme - that's alright too I suppose!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Exactly like that yup!
I was really hoping it would give me a nice uniform cut quickly without eviscerating the flake in the process. The amount of fuss required to get a clean cut without the flake binding the scissors really defeats the purpose unfortunately. Maybe I can find a way to sharpen them... oh well!
Apologies for the image size overkill too! yikes

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
That's why I just fold and stuff, it's a lot quicker.
I've yet to have the fold and stuff method work for me. It just turns in to an evening full of relights.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
That looks like it turned out okay. I see how the flakes would try to squeeze through or bind up between the blades though.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I gotta give some of you guys credit for the effort, patience and time you put into preparing your flake tobacco's. I just rub out my flakes usually, and if I get really daring I'll fold and stuff my flakes.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@papipeguy: Alaskan made Ulu knives. I have 3 which are great for plugs, kakes & flakes (as well as almost all food prep slicing/chopping/mincing tasks):
http://theulufactory.com/

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I gotta give some of you guys credit for the effort, patience and time you put into preparing your flake tobacco's. I just rub out my flakes usually, and if I get really daring I'll fold and stuff my flakes.
When I have the time I do like to use an opinel knife I keep just for prepping tobacco - adds to the ritual of smoking a pipe.
When I rub out a flake I find it easy to over-pack a bowl with the long strands of tobacco and as mentioned I have had no more success with folding a stuffing, whether it be the z-fold method or what have you. Oh well, I still consider myself in the learning stage!
And when it comes to plugs, this is obviously the only option:
5148265_1.jpg

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I fall into both camps:
On one hand I will just roll a flake, bend it in half, and start ripping it to ribbon, then stuff the pipe normally. 10 seconds of prep.
On the other hand, I actually enjoy all the pains people go to, and I too will often follow a painful detailed process, as the prep time is part of my psychological process of descending into the relaxation that I call smoking a pipefull of tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.