PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
most people say a small bowl i believe the pickier smokers would say a billiard or apple straight pipe. i will agree on a small bowl i smoke most of my flakes out of , hold you judgment, my LOTR pipe. it has the smallest bowl and though it is a churchwarden i still enjoy the difference in the taste of the smoke as it is cool.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I prefer a tall, narrow bowl for flakes. I have an M&M 5th Avenue Diplomat cob and a Dr. Grabow pick axe that I enjoy flakes with, using the fold and stuff method.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
That's what I was thinking. Tried in one of my larger pipes because I was planning on a long smoke session but

It didn't work out well. Slowly starting to realize didn't types for different pipes and the advantages that come from it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke my flakes in a number of different style pipes. Dublins, Apples, Billiards, Tomatoes. I prefer group 4,5 and small 6. I think the more traditional shapes smoke my flakes very nicely. I also think that flake preparation and smoking technique are also very important in being able to get the most out of your flakes.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
My flakes (have bright CR, University, Brown scented, Ennerdale, and about 5 others) have a slightly higher nicotene content and that various from brand to barnd. 1789 flake having the highest content I have found thus far.
As far as a good pipe for smokeing them I use a straight stem, bigger than average bowl, and packed very loose. I SIP the smoke meaning I take weeny teenie puffs every so often and ever so gently I let some get inhaled into my nose as I exhale. This is my morning ritual before work. I can say that this way I enjoy the smoke, get a nice nic. buzz for the am and I am ready to conquor to day.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I don't mean to jack the thread but please also state you packing method (fold,cube,rub).
I also think that flake preparation and smoking technique are also very important in being able to get the most out of your flakes.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
Any pipe will smoke flakes (or any other type of tobacco) well if you take time to learn about the hardware/software combination. The biggest contribution to this experiment is the user. Your personal packing style, smoking style (speed), tobacco choice is what makes a difference. Briar is briar and does not produce that significant of a difference.

Have fun with it….

Jul 12, 2011
Agree, smaller bowls...with a cone-shaped/drilled chamber (my Stanwell

63M is a great flake (fold/stuff) pipe..and also a "stack" style billiard

taller/smaller diam inside chamber (for fold/stuff packing) burns

Long/Cool and makes those Vs "pop" w/sweetness
but sometimes the blend needs a packing change &/or pipe change / so test theory

out as well..my example; I had some MB ODF, smoking it in the same

Stanwell 63M w/fold n stuff...wasn't giving off max flavors/depth which I get

from other similar type blends...so I tried rubbing the flake out and smoking

in another smaller bowled briar as well as a meer....POOF! The stuff

is fantastic...went through 100g in less than a month...GREAT, now

the blend is all out-of-stock everywhere I look :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
By flake preparation I mean the style you use i.e cube cut, rubbed out, fold and stuff, or breaking apart with fingers into bigger chunks. As far as smoking technique, flakes are meant to be smoked slowly not puffed real hard which will heat up the tobacco and the pipe. I also tend to exhale through my nose a lot to get more of the flavors. I have been using the cube cut method exclusively and have found it works best for me. I get a much more even and consistent burn than with fold and stuff.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
+1 cigrmaster. The bowl you pick has a lot to do with how you smoke and how you prepare the flake. I tend to fold and stuff with the thinner cut flakes like Escudo and MacBaren Navy. With dense flakes like SG FVF, I got the best flavor and least hassle by cubing. My new Storient has a big bowl and works well, but my squatty Longchamp bulldog will do pretty well, too. I know. Big help there. lol.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I agree with cgrmaster in that I prefer to cube my flakes and for the most part, I prefer a cone bowl, medium to slightly larger. The cone (or tall bowl) seems to make the flavors really emerge through the life of the smoke and you can really appreciate the tobacco fully. I am most particular with straight VA's and VaPers when it comes to bowl shape. For me, Balkan/English flakes are so strong in flavor that I can smoke them in whatever shape bowl that I am feeling like at the moment. I also agree that a slow smoking cadence will let the subtle flavors of VA's and VaPers really shine through without getting you burned.

johnny

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
You can ask a dozen smokers and get a dozen responses on what makes the best flake pipe. For me, the thinner chambered pipes seem to get too hot for flakes even with a slow rate of smoking. I prefer a medium sized bowl for flake. Stays cool and that's the important part. I would recommend a pipe with thick walls for flake too, those seem to work best for me

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Lets see if this pic works? I'm no expert for sure, but this is what I picked up for flakes. It fits one flake and even though it is small gives a nice long smoke.
DSC05353.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had good success with conical shaped bowls. Right now my Zulu (Peterson 268) and Bulldog/Rhodesian (Peterson B5). Haven't tried a flake in my billiard yet. Maybe I should give it a go this weekend.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Since i started using the cube cut method i have had great results in all of my pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.