Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I have been smoking a pipe for quite a while now, but have only had ribbon cut tobacco.Just the other day I went to my local B&M and got an oz. of baccy that smelled great...A knock off of Lane Blue Note.Then once I got home and began to pack my pipe I realized it was very moist,sticky and FLAKED.I tried the frank and 3 step method,but couldn't keep it lit for more than 8 mins.My real question is do I need to let it dry before I pack it or do I need to use a different packing method altogether.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Flakes I let dry out until they start to become crubmly, then I cut into cubes. Never failed for me.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If it's sticky, IMHO, the only good place for it is in the trash can. Good pipe tobacco is not sticky.
I don't rub out my flakes. I may break 'em up (the big thick flakes from SG) or fold and stuff. I may take a bit that is more broken up and put it on top, for ease of lighting.

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
Diffrent flakes - different style. I have been experimenting latley with very thin flakes like Scottish Flake and Germain's Brown flake and just cut then against the grain and it will form cubes by it self. And I blend 50/50 with rubbed flakes and just mix them. It burns very well for me. But the SG flakes I rub out.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I really like the cube method. It works very well with Old Dark Fired.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
I prefer fold and stuff for flakes with a little rubbed out on the top as kindling. For coin cut flakes I like the roll and twist method (roll the coins and twist them into the bowl) with kindling on top still. I should note I'm smoking outside 90% of the time so that does influence my packing methods significantly.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been using the cube cut method with great results. I will cut it into cubes, let it dry to my desired humidity and then use the three steep packing method. When I say three step, I gravity feed to the top, press down making sure I get the sides nice and even, then gravity feed again, pressing a little harder, one more time using even more pressure. I then check to make sure there is enough resistance. I like a pretty firm pack, too loose and the tobacco does not burn well. If I know I am going to be outside in the wind, I will fold and stuff.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
My real question is do I need to let it dry before I pack it or do I need to use a different packing method altogether.

Drying the tobacco is not always necessary, but it usually helps.
1. Rubbing out.

2. Cube cut.

3. Fold and stuff.
All three methods work fine once you get a knack for the technique. Fold and stuff is the quickest and simplest, but perhaps the hardest to do well. The fold and stuff technique works really well for laundry.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Although my experience with flakes is very limited, I've only ever bought PS Navy Flake, and was given one small sample of MacBarren; I've found that fold and stuff works best for me. I usually just fold half of a flake in a smaller pipe, and put a pinch of either H&H or PA on top, as a starter so to speak. When I do that, I find that often I don't need to re-light.

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
I rub out all flakes, which are mainly what I smoke, and don't dry them unless I can't get them lit. Too impatient, plus I like moist tobacco if I can get it to burn OK.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I have tried all of the above. I found cube cut to be the easiest for me at least. Smokes great too

ollie

Lurker
Nov 19, 2012
does anyone find that a certain method results in a faster burn? Or one method a bit more efficient in terms of how it burns? For example would you get more perceived tobacco by rubbing 1 flake vs simply folding and stuffing the flake?
I know that for outdoors, a fold and stuff will be easier to smoke if its a bit windy. I've always liked rubbing as a method of choice, but will give the fold and stuff a whirl next time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.