PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I picked up some Virginia Flake last visit to a B&M.
I see people rolling it up and stuffing it, and I see people that tear it apart first?
What do you recommend?
Also, do you tend to use a larger bowl pipe for flake?
Thanks

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I'd recommend trying it both ways a few times to see which you prefer. With Orlik Golden Sliced, I'll fold & stuff two slices in a large bowl. With Klondike Gold, I rub out two slices in a large bowl.

K

klause

Try all the different methods a few times each, and see how you go - at the end of the day, its down to personal preference.
I find a tall pipe with narrow chamber seems to do the trick for me - though I do have one pipe, a squat bulldog, that is the exception to the rule. Again, try a variety, and see how you get on.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I usually cube cut my flakes... unless they are medallions. Then I'll fold and stuff. But really like the others have said, experiment and find what works for you.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Seagull:
I hope this doesn't sound rude, but why not just try it yourself? Do whatever seems to make sense to you at first and see what the results are. Then try it a different way and see if you prefer that. Because we're not going to agree on a question like this -- and your palate and pipes will be different from ours anyway.
Again, I don't mean to be rude. But the answer is really: "Just get it in your pipe and smoke it." Nothing terrible is going to happen if you don't master it the first couple of times. And you'll have the benefit of your own first-hand experience rather than a lot of others' conflicting advice.
Bob

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Rub it out most of the time, but ocassionaly fold and stuff with a thin strip rubbed out on top for charring light. Medallions about half and half, sometimes fold and stuff, sometimes rub it out. As others have said, it tends to burn longer and slower when folded and stuffed, or even cubed, compared to rubbing it out.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Bob, I wasn't looking for a consistence.

I just wondered why people liked the way they do it.
Its not like I'm asking what engine to put in my car, or how to fix my marriage. :D

99% of the stuff we talk about on a forum doesn't need talked about, its a forum.

No offense taken or implied.
I opened the tin last night and didn't find just what I expected.

Looks to me like it is going to be hard to keep lite.

All my pipes are pretty small, I think it might be better in a little larger

bowl. Been meaning to pick one up anyway, might just wait till then.

I think it would work fine if I shred it, but then whats the need for flake?
I guess that brings a follow-up question, maybe I am missing something.

If you shred it up anyway why get the flake form? Smaller form factor?

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Rubbing out had worked for me so far with flakes, so I haven't tried the fold and stuff yet. I met a guy who swears by the fold and stuff and that got me wanting to try it that way, but so far, rubbing out works.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"If you shred it up anyway why get the flake form?"
Most flakes aren't available in any other form. But the process of pressing tobacco into a solid block (which is how flakes start before they're sliced) produces a different flavor result than a blend that has never been pressed. And if it remains a pressed flake when tinned (as opposed to being broken up prior to tinning), then the various tobaccos continue to mature together in a unique way.
FWIW, I rub out all of my flakes completely whenever possible.
Bob

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I would agree with Coalsmoke. Different flakes require different methods. Usually, for Gawith flakes which run very moist I use the tear method. For dryer flakes, like Orlick Golden Slices you can simply hand rub or fold. As for the type of pipe I find that most flakes smoke better in a flatter bowl similar to a pot or bull dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.