PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I have never had much success with the "fold & stuff" method. Mostly just ends up a poor smoke with me asking myself "Why do you even try?"
So I added the "roll/twist" step and it's been spectacular.
After folding lengthwise and again end to end, you have a small stick of tobacco. Hold this in the thumb and first two fingers of each hand like you were rolling a cigarette, over your pan or sheet of paper. Roll, massage and twist the "stick" 'till it's the right size to slip easily into a Billiard, Dublin, Cob, Canadian, or other tall straight-sided pipe. Note at this point if you have to use any pressure at all to fit the roll into the bowl it will be too tight, or that has been my experience. Trim or pick away any tobacco that extends above the bowl. A couple of char lights ( depending on the Rh) and you're off to the races.
Basically,I think, you have is the perfect marriage between a folded & stuffed flake and one rubbed out.
I've tried this with several pipes, and several flakes, from FVF aged 8 years to fresh BCF right out of the package. It even seems excessive moisture (BCF) doesn't affect it, except for being a tad harder to light and keep lit, but not even close to being as frustrating as I was dealing with before.
I've looked and searched, and looked and searched some more for evidence of others using this method, to no avail. There must be others out there who have found the joys of smoking flake this way, yes?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Roll, massage and twist the "stick" 'till it's the right size to slip easily into a Billiard, Dublin, Cob, Canadian, or other tall straight-sided pipe.
So roll the wad until it widens? Hmm... gotta try this. BRB

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
So roll the wad until it widens? Hmm... gotta try this.
Basically, yes. You might start with a wad (great word for it) ~ 7/8" in diameter and an inch long, and when you're done, it might be 5/8" X 1-1/2".
EDIT:
The only failure I've had with this is when I tried to stuff the wad in when it was too thick.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
DubInTheDam has a YouTube video titled Flakes where he shows a similar method to fold and stuff. It's worked very well for me over the years. Haven't even bothered to fully rub out a flake. Forget cube cutting, far too much labor for me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I tried this, with a yet-to-be-revealed (but delicious) tobacco. It works. I end up with what looks like a tiny unruly bundle of tobacco sticks. The wad lights like ready rubbed but burns like a flake, smouldering low and long for what I think is a more flavorful smoke over the life of the bowl.
Good observation, newfie.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Lord: Great video, and yes, that is nearly exactly what I've been doing. To me, easier than packing a pipe with ready-rubbed. And I also agree that cutting cube-cut from a flake is too labour intensive for me.
Metal, glad it worked for you. Your comments about the light and burn are exactly my experience too. One question, this tobacco to be named later, was it fresh or aged, fairly dry or moist, etc
Thanks.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
One question, this tobacco to be named later, was it fresh or aged, fairly dry or moist, etc
Relatively fresh, purchased a year ago and accidentally cellared for a short time when the tin slipped between some books.

Status
Not open for further replies.