PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Friday night is when me and old ms red drink some good beer listen to records and catch up after what is usually a busy week.

She smokes RYO and I plough through a few bowls.
Last Friday after dinner I opened a can of Irish Flake, this has been a very eagerly awaited purchase and I was looking forward to sparring with what is regarded as a powerful punching tobacco.

Tin note was strong like a lush that had spilled booze all over his brogues. The strong leather and cheap whiskey tango.

The flakes had been drying out for a while so I folded stuffed and light. Charring light increased the boozy vapors and by the time my pipe was fully light I was starting to be somewhat assaulted with an early flurry of cheap alcohol shots.

Things settled down somewhat as we got down to the mid rounds with heavier earthy body shots and a right cross or two of leather as the deep tobacco taste came through. After about an hour and a half I’d had enough, not that the nicotine had me on the ropes you see, rather I was getting a little tired of the cheap breath of whisky my opponent would exhale every so often.

I did enjoy this tobacco very much but I think a little rest after its travel would hopefully tone down the alcohol flavor, which was a bit much for me at times.
Next up was Gwaith Hoggarth Rum Twist. This was my first rope. It smelled of maple, bay rum and leaf mold. I cut some coins but the rope was quite wet and the coins fell apart upon cutting. So I put them in the microwave for a few seconds and rubbed them out.

Again I was prepared to be respectful of the nicotine content of this British Bomber and sipped slowly. All the while enjoying the mélange of maple sugar, deep loam and rich cigar notes, and an undercurrent of Lakeland flavor.
I was in pipe heaven with this one albeit with a slight detraction of hoping not to be sucker punched by the nicotine. But I wasn’t!
I finished the bowl and was still standing!
Ms old red flipped over Blues Funeral by Mark Lanegan,held my hand aloft and passed me a celebratory bottle of Gravey Mavey’s Pilsner.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
It can be a bit of a let down when you have yourself worked up for something that fails to happen. I've been on a big Virginia flake kick as of late and I got myself a tin of Orlik Golden Slices as they are raved about and when I smoked a flake it was a lackluster experience. It was good but not the great experience I was looking forward to.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
oldreddog:
Thank-you for these two most entertaining and informative reviews! I believe that I will pass on the Irish Flake.
On the other hand, the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Rum Twist Unsliced Rope sounds like it might suit me to a tee. I love maple, and bay is one of my favorite scents. Further, I found your comment regarding its nicotine content to be a pleasant surprise. Being a rope, I would have guessed this tobacco to be a bomb in that respect. I am sensitive to such high-test blends, and thus this one is even more attractive. An order looms in my immediate future!

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
@hunter thank you for reading and commenting. I do seem to have a high tolerance to nicotine, caffeine on the other hand is a different matter. So if you are a little sensitive to high octane blends then perhaps it would be best to tread lightly sir! But I would say that the intense flavor would be worth the risk.
Funny thing blueeyedogre OGS is a blend that I am beginning to warm to. Initially I didn't take to it at all. So I will revisit Irish Flake at a later date and see if I acquire a taste for it.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
oldreddog:
Caffeine does not bother me in the least. I can drink black coffee all day through bedtime, and then sleep like a weary kitten.
Nicotine is another story. My first (and only) dalliance with Dunhill's Nightcap left me dizzy, disoriented, and sweating profusely. As a result I had to have a cold shower and then retire to bed early. The sad thing is that I LIKED that blend very much - it just didn't like me! I've been scared of it ever since.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I believe that I will pass on the Irish Flake.
In my experience, Irish Flake has been very consistent in providing that ever elusive "Perfect Bowl".
This wonderful blend smokes evenly and burns right down to the bottom of the bowl with zero dottle and zero bitter taste.
Think I'll load up a bowl right now.
I love it!

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Dottiewarden I read a thread here recently which questioned who was making Irish Flake now, and I was most certainly confused!
My tin is exactly the same as a tin of OGS, different livery of course. Event the inner paper wrapper was the same except instead of a shrewd judge it has the Peterson's "old duffer".
Confusion aside I shall endeavor to persevere with the tin, purely for research purposes into the "Perfect Bowl" you understand.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used to hoard Irish Flake tins and at one point sold about 80 on ebay for $400.00; that sale and many others went into feeding a cigar habit; then I decided to quit tobacco entirely and sold what was left of a ~$5000.00 cellar, also for a song. At one point I smoked Irish Flake 5 Xs a week and adored it. But when I smoked a tin lately it seemed all the flavor had gone. Like Union Square, IF is touted as a 100% natural tobacco, but of the two US is processed less. At some point I'll try IF again. Its merits went by me unregarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.