PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
After sanding away the burn marks on the rim, whats the next move . How do you get to look like its new and shiny?

Hmmmm, you sanded the rim. Ummm, that's pretty extreme, dude. To my ears that is like hearing, "I just sanded the car, what do I do next?" Ha ha.
I usually just spit on a rag, or dip a napkin in coffee and dissolve the creep and scorch off of the rim as I smoke. A little elbow grease and the mild acid of spit/coffee, and my rims stay shiny new looking.

I also have a board with a piece of leather and a piece of carpet tacked to it, to keep them polished as well. I just rub the pipe over it briskly.
But, you looking at polishing, re-staining, and waxing.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
This is just a hypothetical question. I don't own a briars yet. But more than likely my first one will be used. I was just wondering because I have read about people doing resterations where sanding was involved

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you have your heart set on buying a used pipe, and then restoring it, I'd say the condition of the pipe, and its issues, would dictate what needs to be done.
But why not consider a new pipe in the under $50 range? SmokingPipes.com has a "Pipe Locator" button in the top navigation bar of their home page, where you can find a brand spanking new Rossi author (the uber-popular 320 shape) for $43.20 :wink:

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Just my opinion but if you're just starting out, it would be better to get a couple of new cobs for $20 than try and restore a used briar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Look for some threads by Dave G, about a year ago, when he posted many refurbed pipes he did. There are other great restorers here, some with very technical processes. Look around and enjoy!
Also, you don't have to pretty up a used pipe in order for it to smoke well, though I fully understand the desire to do so.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
I sanded the rim of a Old England I picked up at the flea market last month. It turned out nice with polishing with a buffer and wax. You can see pic in pipe talk forum the post is called flea market finds.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Smittyd, be careful this pipe restoration thing can get addictive!

I love finding old ratty looking pipes and making them smokeable again!
For the estate pipes I have restored in the past I use small sanding pads that I found a hobbylobby craft store.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H.../Micro-Finishing-Cloth-Abrasive-Pads/p/108354
Then after using the sanding pads I use carnuba wax and a polshing cloth. to make them shine.
Enless you have some used pipes you want to restore go for it, But if you are very new to pipe smoking I agree with the others, you might want to get a well made but inexpensive briar pipe it would be about the same cost as buying the materials to clean up the old pipes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not much of a fan of used pipes, so I get my joy from purchasing the aforementioned well-made but inexpensive briars and tweaking them to exactly what I want. If you are handy enough to restore a used beater, you are definitely handy enough to straighten and open up stems, adjust slots, tweak buttons, and re-finish stummels to your custom wishes. Pipe tinkering is quite enjoyable, in my experience.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Start simple and easy. It could just be caked, not burned. If you’re looking at repairing a charred rim yourself than it can get a bit pricey to do it properly. Sandpaper, sandpaper, and more sandpaper. Plus stain, wax, and the buffing accessories.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
27332139_192397018162678_2810177700620630262_n.jpg

hope this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.