PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

revpipe

Lurker
Aug 10, 2014
Oviedo, FL
I have several Brigham pipes and they are good smokers. I bought a Brigham Mountaineer #384 Volcano and it just does not draw. Is there anything I can do to improve this? Drill out the draw hole a bit?

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Assuming there's no actual blockage, you want to find out where the holes are too small. Yes, the draft hole in the wood could be drilled out. To get a rough-and-ready measurement of the current hole, use the shanks of a set of drill bits as as gauge. The biggest one that will fit (don't force it!) is your current diameter. Use the next size bit to drill it out--carefully. If I remember correctly, smaller draft holes are often about 1/8". 9/64" is mid-sized, and 5/32" is larger. Or, in metric, 3mm is a fairly small hole, and 4mm is larger size. But I'm going on memory here.
It's always possible (though less likely) that the constriction is in the stem. Drilling out a stem is a little more dicey than drilling out the draft hole.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I have 4 Brighams and I've never heard of a stinger on one. Revpipe first just make sure you can run

a pipe cleaner thru it and then blow thru the stem and the pipe shank both. I put a clean filter in

before every use. When you have a bunch of used filters just soak them in very hot water. Then run pipe

cleaners thru them while still damp. Then let them dry very well. You can use the pipes without the

filters too. I don't use the pipes much any more. I use pipes mostly that are made for 9mm filters.
Tinner :puffy:
Then if it still won't draw, get out the drill bits.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
First of all, if there is a structural flaw, Brigham might want to know about it. Contact them and explain the problem; they may ask you to send in the pipe and repair it, or trade it for a new one.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I have a bent pipe I bought new and it's constricted right at the bend in the stem. I was considering Unbending and fixing... but now it's been a few years and it's still untouched... maybe someday

Status
Not open for further replies.