PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have a MM Country Gent that I have had about 9 months and about a month ago I found the bottom to be getting "soft/soggy". When I first got this pipe I had no real rotation and smoked the hell out of it for quite some time. Finally the bottom gave out so since I really didn't want to tosh the old boy I decided to give him a fix. Went to the hardware store pick up a 3 ft length of 3/4 inch oak round stock, cut about 1/2 inch off it. Drilled a 3/4 hole thru the bottom of the cob and glued in the oak.

Smoking a bowl of Ten to Midnight in it right now and feeling good about saving the Gent.

I did find out a day after I purchased the oak to fix it that MM is now putting the hardwood plug in all new Country Gents. :worship:
null_zpsb09ae8ec.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm happy to hear that MM is putting hardwood bottoms on the Gent. Now, if they'd only improve the chintzy stem ...just a little.

I didn't want to pop for a Forever stem plus postage, so I found a $3.00 replacement stem on eBay and it works much better than

the crap MM uses.
peterpiperuk has a point. 3/4" x 3ft oak dowels have to cost more than a new pipe. :lol:

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
My Country Gent has a hardwood bottom, it's three months old. Great pipe. I bought a extra stem for 89 cents when I bought the pipe from 4Noggins, better than the original stem, and I expect it to last quite some time. I also bought a Diplomat last month, and an extra stem for that also.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Good work! Even though it's just a cob the satisfaction of knowing you fixed it and keeping it smoking is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.