Five Year Old Capstan Gold RR

(14 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by Panhandler
  • Latest reply from jamban
  1. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just received 4 tins of Capstan from SP. 1 each of flake and ready rubbed, blue and yellow tins.

All the tins are 2018 except for one tin of gold ready rubbed (yellow label, round tin). It’s dated Apr 2013. Can I consider this aged?

I’m really new to Virginias and so far Escudo still burns me if I’m not really careful. FVF is a little easier if I cube cut and dry but still likes to bite a little. Russ Oullett’s Acadian VaPer smokes like a dream and I love this stuff.

Reading reviews on Capstan looks like a good step towards full Virginias. Anyway, will the 2013 tin be worth opening now or should I give it more time? Thanks.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 7 months ago #
  2. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’d say give it ten more minutes, then dive right in. It’ll be perfect.

Seriously, 5 years should be plenty. Enjoy it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  3. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried an aged tin yet, but I am sampling all the virginias I can get my hands on and leaving some to age.
    I think 5 years would make it an aged blend, but I would advice you to try some of the newer tins first, to get an impression of what you're dealing with and to get some experience to measure the aged tin against.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Capstan is not just a step towards Virginia blends, it’s a leap directly at bullseye. It’s a classic. IMHO 5 years is good, I recommend smoking now. Then order a few tins to age.

Neal
    Posted 7 months ago #
  5. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Completely agree that Acadian Vaper is amazing

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK. Great. Thanks for the great tips. 2013 tin gets opened tomorrow and the other 3 going into the deep cellar. I’ll report back here on my experience.

Also, smoking PS Luxury Bullseye Flake right now. My God man... 2 coins rubbed out and dried for 30 mins. Wow it’s good. Only ordered 2 oz. bulk in case I didn’t like it. Well, a pound getting ordered soon for the cellar.

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

8. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow! 33 years... Absolutely amazing. Most certainly a once in a lifetime experience.

I’m really looking forward to trying Capstan.

Might have to tuck away the blue flake tin for a long sleep. Doubt very much I’ll have 33 years though!

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with Jmill - give it 10 more minutes. If you like that PS Luxury Bullseye Flake you might want to try their Luxury Twist Flake.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 7 months ago #
  10. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

10 more minutes! That’s great.

Tried my first bowl of the 5 year old tin this morning. Wow, what a great smoke. Definitely have to treat these Virginias with a little care and finesse. Now I can definitely see what the draw is to Va’s and VaPers. Thinking this tin won’t make it to the jar as it will be gone soon. Thanks for all the info.

And yes, Luxury Twist Flake is definitely going to happen.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some swear by 3 to 5 years of age. Personally, I would jar at least a little up and try it again in a few years, as you may not be fortunate again to randomly receive an aged tin.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

I was lucky enough to get a 5 year aged tin from SP when they actually advertised it as an aged tin a few months back. Only opened it last week and wow! Wish I had purchased 10 or more! The price was basically the same for a non-aged stuff also so what a bonus that was

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Smoke it! I'm a huge fan of Capstan, both new and slightly aged (5 yrs). I've got enough in the cellar to last awhile, so I can't wait to try these in 10-20 yrs. I like the yellow, but the blue? Mmmmmmm.

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. jamban

jamban

Login to Send PM

I vouch for the 2013 Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed. It is a nice virginia that isn't only ready rubbed, but also readily available!

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow