PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Afternoon All,
Got these a little while ago and just thought I'd let you see what I saw when I opened the box.
Five-Sisters.jpg

To say I smiled broadly would be an understatement.
The 2 with silver bands are City DeLuxe, and the other three are Monarchs.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Dave - we need more pictures! What a great set, congratulations.

Can you some some of the nomenclature? I can't recall seeing a CDL with silverwork, guessing that means they are old?

K

klause

Dave, you made me laugh.
Indeed it is the tease. but, to me, in terms of the pipe, as a man who is a slave to the aesthetic and the story as much as to the sweet tang and soothing qualities of the smoke, that picture is (some may say, sadly) the piping equivelent of a fleeting glimpse of a naked ankle, or the briefest of touches of a fingertip across the naked shoulder of a beautiful woman - the woman who is to you, above all others.
It is the moment when your eyes pass over a crowd and suddenly become transfixed, gazing; and then, after what seems like an eternity of silence your mind quietly and humnbly says, 'Oh! God!', before returning to utter silence.
I could go on, but now i need to go make a coffee and have a smoke!

K

klause

Al,
I'll dig them out and take a few more pics - but, yes, hallmarked, and very early 20th century - if i recall, the 20's, possibly the 30's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those look like they would clean up beautifully, with the rims brightened and the bands polished. Wow. The way pipes last is a huge part of their magnetism.

Status
Not open for further replies.