PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Link to you tubr
Apparently about 7 months ago a guy in the Philly area snagged five new Germain products at his local B & M. The above link takes you to his review of the first two, Club Mixture and Bridge - Old Brown Flake. The second video, which is easy enough to find since it is by the same guy, covers B.K. Flake, Century and Royal Jersey Dark Cavendish.
Club Mixture is listed on Ries and on a non forum sponsor's site, out of stock both places.
No comment, just reporting the news.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I got these about 6 months ago.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ahh-the-new-germains-and-et-unicorns

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Oh, man, the idea of doing a tobacco review video is not my idea of fun. Most of them are terrible. I've been asked to do them a bunch of times, and I always decline.
The new blends sound interesting, but some have been out for a while. I haven't tried any of them.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If I were a blender or producer of a new blend, the FIRST thing I would do is ask for someone with an experienced, talented, palette with the ability to verbalize his unbiased observations.

I do the same when considering buying tobacco, when I read reviews.

I guess the fact that Germain tobacco hasn't asked for JimInks' opinion speaks to their vaunted imperious business model.

Is Germain the most expensive tobacco, on average, per blend offered, and does exclusivity account for some of its popularity?

Oct 7, 2016
@newsbroom, as far as expense goes, I picked up one or two tins each of several of their "own name" blends on 3/24 for $9.99 each.
Zito, thanks for pointing me to your previous link and your source. Grabbed two tins of Uncle Tom's, which I don't think I have tried before. Have you tried any of the new ones? The only one I found during the recent dump was Club Mixture.
As far as there business model is concerned, it is what it is. Esoterica is made under contract, and my guess is that the contract in no way obligates them to produce all the Esoterica that Arango thanks the American market would take. I have no idea what their intentions are with these newer blends, given the impending FDA restrictions. They may consider them more or less one off's, at least as far as the US is concerned.
I think they make a quality product, but based on my taste buds as of 15 years ago, none would be an everyday smoke.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I'm trying to figure out who gets to buy Germain's product. Is it only for people who live on the Isle of Jersey? I don't even know why it is marketed in this Country, there is never stock.

Oct 7, 2016
I don't want to do anything to add to the frenzy, but I honestly have no idea what will be available or not, say, this time next year. At my age and health, it makes absolutely no sense to go to extremes, but I did pick up a few tins of the Club Mixture from IRC and look forward to smoking it. Those tins will do me for a long time. I have no earthly idea of what "we" need, but I managed to pick up enough things new to me, and a couple of things that I have enjoyed in the past, that I will enjoy over several months. YMMV

Oct 7, 2016
Club mixture was in stock at it least two major online sellers and stayed available for several hours. The demand side of the equation is all that has (from what I can tell) changed over time.
I am glad to have new things to try. That they might not be available in quantities sufficient to hoard for the Apocalypse just doesn't matter to me.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
JimInks, I agree, you'd do well to stay out of the video reviews! I've yet to see one on YouTube where the guy doesn't blather on for 5 minutes aimlessly before he even gets to the point of the video! I end up clicking on the bar jumping ahead through the thing trying to find the salient parts.

Oct 7, 2016
There is a line of tinned products available in Europe that is produced by Planta. There is a clear origin statement on those tins, I.e., Mixture 7.
There are also clear origin statements on the tins of Germains that I have on my table right now and am looking at. They say made in Jersey, British Isles.
There are labeling laws in the EU and in the United States. Arno apparently does not think they mean anything based on his rumor mongering shown in the thread about HH Syrian.
Plantas web site shows the ones they have licensed, or at least it did last I looked. AFAIK, everything Arango distributes at this time is made in Jersey. The only exception I know of is Pelican, which they continued to distribute when it was made by McClelland and MacBarens. Apparently the production was shifted back to Germain recently. The tin I am looking at right now says "Made in Jersey, British Isles." I have absolutely no reason to believe that statement to be false.

Status
Not open for further replies.