PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I do enjoy all types of tobaccos, especially VA flakes. That being said I also enjoy aromatics (gasp). However, most aros never gave me the strength I liked. Therefore, I tried mixing Lane 1Q and Lane RLP-6 with five brothers tobacco.
Let me tell you, this five brothers is strong. And I'm no nicotine wimp. I smoked cigs for years and my favorite brand was Marlboro. This five brothers stuff had my mouth watering and face flushing. I started with 1 oz of Lane to 1.25 oz of five brothers. Then went to 2 oz of lane, and finally settled on 3 ounces of Lane to 1.25 oz of five brothers.
The 3/1.25 mix is rather good. However, the five brothers is a shag cut that's hard to blend, and has somewhat of a bite to it. I have been recommended 4 noggins cube cut burly which I will try next. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please share.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
I find that GH Dark Birdseye has enough strength to amp up about any Aromatic.

It also incorporates better with other ribbon cut blends.

Your blend sounds interesting.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I do royal yacht with Best of Show 50/50 - adds just enough n. I also mix 1 Q with Dunhill MM more for better top to bottom of bowl smoking and flavor than N. I think that keeping the same cut is helpful so they burn even as this is really mixing not blending. I want to try some SG 1792 and 1Q next.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
However, most aros never gave me the strength I liked.
I have some aromatics I've been avoiding for exactly this reason, but I also have a pouch of 5 Bros that I had forgotten about. Problem solved. Glad you posted this.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I too add Five Brothers to certain mixes, just for the "extra" ka-pow it brings to the show. I could not bring myself to smoke Five Brothers all by itself, it just does not seem to change the flavor of any of the mixes I have added it to.
I find the most fun thing about Five Brothers is trying to untangle the tobacco "threads"!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I believe a one speed food processor will solve any blending problems you may have. Take the parts of each blend you want mixed and put them in the blender. Give 'er a whirl for about 5-7 seconds (adjust the time to your preference of chopping), and you'll have a well blended and easy to load and light blend. I learned this trick many years ago from an article in P&T Magazine by Michael Butera.
Happy blending,
Pipestud

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The nicotine content of Five Brothers does not do anything for me, but its easy and even burning qualities destine it to become a go-to for blending with more finicky leaf. I am thinking that Five Brothers mixed with McClelland 5100 Red Cake would make a dandy blend for breaking in a new pipe. I will have to try pipestud's food processor technique.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I have been using pipestud's food processor suggestion. I grind up the 5 brothers and put in a jar. Whenever I get some aros, I shake some in and mix it about. Whala, a high nic aro.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Have you used a food processor to mix the aro with Five Brothers, or have you always just hand mixed the two?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...and Five Brothers is a good smoke by itself too. It's dry and burns fast, and has a nic kick, but it's tasty and a nice quick smoke when needed.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
...and Five Brothers is a good smoke by itself too. It's dry and burns fast, and has a nic kick, but it's tasty and a nice quick smoke when needed.
I agree. Five Brothers is a nice smoke all by itself.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I have become fond of Five Brothers myself. I treat it like Semois in how I pack it and tamp it. It is a great before bedtime snack.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Why are we talking about an enjoyable tobacco when we could be participating in the "pipe turds" melee?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Probably because that is a turd of a thread. [:mrgreen:]
Yeah, like a turd in a swimming pool - best to steer clear and make a speedy exit from the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.