PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I’m trying to try a pipe tobacco from all basic varieties in my first year or so of pipe smoking, and trying to review them as well. We’ll see how many I get done, but this review should go as quickly as a bowl of Five Brothers.
Smoke:

This is a bone dry shag cut, so it burns extremely quickly. It’s actually great if you only have time for a short smoke break.
Flavor:

The flavor is nothing fancy—just a straight, one-dimensional nutty burley. This makes it a great additive for other blends if you’re wishing to up the nicotine level. I also use it to break in a newly restored and deep cleaned estate pipe—it flavors the pipe subtly without leaving a new mess to clean up. Although the flavor is in most respect a mild one, it does have a quality of some burley blends I’ve noticed: a sort of harsh bite against the back of the throat that can make me cough if not careful.
Nicotine level:

It does have a kick to it, probably partly due to the potency of the burley itself, and partly due to how quickly it burns.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Love this stuff. I smoke it more then any I have. P&C by the way has buy 4 get the 5th free going on. I just got 7 bundles. :puffpipe:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
mix it with Prince Albert 70% to 30% from time to time
Also a favorite around here. Delicious. Really brings out the Prince Albert flavor without topping excess and with a bit more strength.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Five Brothers is nice on its own, but I like the PA mix idea. I happen to have enough of each. It's full strength without being some kind of fortitude test.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I suppose I owe myself a try. Worst-case I can add some BCA and blend me a hairylegged aro, or use it to give Blood Red Moon some nic balls.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Just to give another perspective....I find Five Brothers to taste vile, it tastes the way a horse stall smells before its cleaned and the nic hit gave me the spins, badly. However I'm glad it appeals to others, as that leaves the more tasty tobaccos for me!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In my view, Prince Albert is better than often given credit for. People compare it to Carter Hall because these two are the leading OTCs that are not drenched in wet top flavoring, but I find Carter Hall to be an entirely different animal and enjoy it as well. But add a little Five Brothers or Burley Flake #1 to Prince Albert and watch it come alive! And in my view, echoing your excellent point MSO489, it never makes sense to turn tobacco (or drinking) into a manliness competition. There is only one manliness competition and there are no proxies.

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
I just picked up a couple of pouches to bump up the strength of some of the neglected aros in my collection. I suppose I'll have to give it a go on its own at some point as well.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like to smoke 5B straight, but also sometimes sprinkle a generous pinch of Virginia on top of a nearly-full bowl. It sweetens the mix further and spreads out the flavor profile.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Five Brothers reminds me of a big box of tangled up Christmas lights.
Mixing or blending anything with Five Brothers sounds like a tough task just to get a nic hit off an aro.
Try mixing an aro with something else strong, like C&D Haunted Bookshop which is a strong nicotine Burley-based blend.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That was a problem for me at first. Solution: tear off enough to fill 1/2 to 2/3 of a bowl, then flatten it and put your blending tobacco in the middle, then fold sides upward and twist into a cylindrical plug that will fit your bowl.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Nice technique, deathmetal! I hadn't though of that. Sounds like it'd work in a pinch, har har.

Status
Not open for further replies.