PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For some reason my server has stopped opening smoking pipes dot com, but I get the idea. Fortunately, I am already supplied with a number of "driving caps," and I'm ready to observe fishnbanjo day with one of my fancier pipes and one of the required caps. We can't get started too early.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Here's way more than you ever wanted to know about flat caps:
VIDEO
A year or two ago, I spent more time than I should have watching most of this guy's videos.
Once you get past his slightly odd demeanor, you'll find that he is incredibly knowledgeable on matters of old school style and fashion for men. Think back to the days when coats, ties and hats were the norm.
As I sit here in a t-shirt with the sleeves ripped of, I chuckle to imagine his look of disdain, should we ever meet.
jay-roger.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Jay, I am old school. Don't own a newsboy cap, but have several other flat caps I wear as I do fedoras including 1 which was made in the 40's and, of course, always coats and ties at work. Though the latter 2 no doubt will go by the wayside in a year or 2 when I retire.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Fishnbanjo is one of our forum members, with a deep well of pipe knowledge and a world class pipe collection.
If you peruse his postings, you'll see that he often showcases his pipes by posting "selfies" while "keeping it smokey". He's usually standing on his property with a tree in the background and wearing a "flat cap" and shades.
I thought it would be a fun tribute to see other forum members "keeping it smokey" and started a thread a few months ago:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/help-me-celebrate-fishbanjo-day#post-1109013
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Of course, I could have spelled his name right on the original thread title. Mods, feel free to correct that... :oops:
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In defense of the driving cap (flat cap), I much prefer hats with brims, and I think I look better in 'em. However, with the advent of the safety headrest in cars, most of us can't wear a brim hat without having perpetual chafing of the brim against the headrest while driving. It drives me crazy, and I always toss the hat in the back seat before I leave the driveway. Whereas the flat cap presents no problem. For driving I switch off between that and a ball cap or similar configuration with the brim only in the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.