PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
The wife and I headed down to the Outer Banks this weekend for a little day trip and wanted to hit up our favorite restaurant down there. A little cinder block building that's grown since last we ate there, called Tortuga's Lie. They have the best fish tacos I've ever had. Well, we got there and the wait was about an hour, so we put the name in and went and sat outside. There was a little group of people smoking there nails out by us and I decided to retaliate, or provide an air freshener by packing a bowlful of some 1-Q, since it's fairly perceived as a decent smelling smoke and the wife likes it. I wasn't more than 5 minutes into it when this cute set of twins, about 3 years old or so I'd say, stepped around the corner holding their juice boxes while mom and dad was bringing up the rear with their beers while they waited to sit like us. The little boy looked at me and scowled real big and yelled..."STOP SMOKING!!!!!....STOP SMOKING OR YOU'LL DIE!!!!!!!"....Cute little shit, he was...It didn't really embarrass me, but made me wonder. What are parents telling their kids these days? Dad did turn and look at me as red as a beat and told me "Sorry." Told his son "They can do what they want." I thought, okay, well there's a good man, but I reckon it's like they say, kids say the darnedest things. I just kept smoking my bowl. The wife ad I laughed it off, but I could easily see other people becoming so embarrassed that they would quite then and there, until later. I mean, I didn't feel the best in the world, being called out in public by a 3 year old, but what do you do? I just kept doing me and smiled at him. Does make it easy to see why you don't see too many of us in the wild for the exact same thing that happened to me.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, that's what kids do, repeat verbatim what they hear at home. I remember when I was a wee one, probably about the same age as your 'scolder' to-day, hearing my parents displeasure about the wife of an uncle (dad's brother), and one of them said 'I don't want that woman to set foot in this house again'. Days later, when visiting at my dad's half-sister's, said woman came to visit too and I told her point blank 'my parents say they don't want you to set foot in our house again!' Major embarrassment of course, fortunately, neither one of my parents was there at the time, but my aunt ran home to her husband and made a big stink of the whole affair.
I dunno what I would have done in your particular situation. Maybe just lift my pipe towards the kid and say 'we'll all die of something', or something like that. Dunno.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I'm not so sure it's attributed to parent's alone, considering the messages we are being bombarded with every waking hour.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'd not feel too bad about that. Also the father had the correct response. Children are, well, children. In that situation I may have said something like "thank you for your concern" in a gentle kind way with a smile. I mean, 3 years old, what are you going to do?
As a father of a very young son, with another on the way, I think about this sometimes. In the future I think I'll keep the pipe smoking as a seldom done activity. Around the campfire, out in back taking a break from chopping wood, while out fishing, on the porch (if we have one) after the boys are in bed, that kind of thing. I certainly plan on having a talk with them in years to come about addiction, about the drugs to avoid because of addiction, and all that (thinking here of meth, heroin, and etc). I fully expect they'll get a hefty dose of "tobacco is the devil" at school and worry about that message muddying the waters.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think it's cute that the little bugger is still young enough to think that if he doesn't smoke, he won't die. Like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, it's something he'll eventually grow out of.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Santa Claus of old smoke a pipe? That good ol' Frosty the Snowman sure did!
"With his corn cob pipe and a button nose ..."

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Wait till he finds out about the cleaning fluid!
jay-roger.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I don't feel too bad about it, like you say, the tyke's just 3 years old, but you still cringe a little inside. I just smiled at him and kept on smoking. My wife thought he was cute and that it said a lot that "worried about my well being". All well and good, I just know it had to have embarrassed the dad a good bit. It was the first time I had ever been out and about like that and smoked my pipe, so of course it would happen to me. Those are the things you don't want to have happen when you go out. I'm just minding my business, smoking my pipe and someone has to say something negative to me.
"With his corn cob pipe and a button nose ..."
Before long, that'll be "With his carrot stick and a button nose..."

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Sounds like your first venture of truly smoking in public was a success. It could of been worse. At least you were reprimanded by a cute 3 year old kid and not some uppity old bitch who knows what's best for everyone else.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Wow, Mommy and Daddy are well on their way in creating a little Nazi Scumbag, Nice! Bravo!!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would have told him what the chemicals in that juice box are doing to his insides.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Wow, Mommy and Daddy are well on their way in creating a little Nazi Scumbag, Nice! Bravo!!!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I hope we get to meet some day, I'm afraid we think terribly alike. LOL
I'm not sure why it bothered you at all. You're an Adult, you get to make Adult decisions. Perhaps Mom and Dad should spend more time trying to get their children to think for themselves instead of loading their heads full of brainwashing BS.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Checking out with paper plates and peanut butter at Walmart yesterday, a little one started doing the scales on her vocal chords balling at operatic volume. First it pretty much raked my nervous system, but the mom was calm and tried to quiet the screamer. But that's kids, what they do. It was mom who had to tote her child to the car with the high volume going all the way. For me, it faded in the distance. Actually, those parents you observed were pretty good, knew that the scolder was inappropriate. Being a parent is heavy labor. But these parents seem to be doing their jobs. Kids are kids. But ah, ain't that seafood great?

Status
Not open for further replies.