PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I'm attempting to work my way through the various tobacco blends. There is no question that so far Virginia and Latakia are my favorites. Balkans not so much - as I find them far too spicy. Perhaps in a year or so I'll return to a Balkan, but for now they're just too much for my palate. Anniversary Kake is my first VaPer, and I selected it as all the reviews suggest it is a fairly mild smoke.
I've smoked through perhaps six bowls now - and I do find it a very mild smoke - perfect for the first smoke of the day, which it was this morning along with my post-breakfast cup of tea. In fact, I enjoy this tobacco very much. I do notice a bit of tongue tingle - definitely not bite - but a rather pleasant tingle which lets me know that there's more than just Virginia in the blend.
As much as I enjoy this tobacco, I wouldn't mind a bit of a richer and deeper Virginia taste. Would there be a VaPer that would give me a bit deeper Virginia while at the same time not overpowering my tongue with spice?

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I do have OGS already - one of my favorites. I didn't realize it has Perique in it. I guess Escudo will be on my list. Thanks.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I'm not sure if it has been verified that OGS has Perique. I know this was once a very big debate. The labling did at one time have Perique listed as a part of the blend. I'm not sure if it still does. I don't have a tin of it on me at work sadly. I ordered some Anniversery Kake and am looking forward to trying it. :puffy:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
You might want to try one of Peter Stokkebye's VaPer blends - Luxury Bullseye Flake has some Cavendish to even things out a little, and I enjoyed my sample of Luxury Navy Flake (though I preferred LBF). Escudo is lovely stuff (first blend I started cellaring), but you might want to work up to it gradually.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Escudo is lovely stuff (first blend I started cellaring), but you might want to work up to it gradually.
Thanks for the warning. The reviews are all excellent, but it appears to be a rather strong tobacco. I may consider buying a tin and cellaring if for six months or so and then give it a try.
You might want to try one of Peter Stokkebye's VaPer blends - Luxury Bullseye Flake has some Cavendish to even things out a little
One I haven't heard of, a brand I haven't tried yet, so definitely will purchase. Thanks.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Hearth and Home's Louisiana Red might just have the Virginia you are looking for. I taste Perique in OGS also and what exactly are those black flecks in the sheet.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
4noggins' Prairie Wind (more perique) and Alamosa (less perique) are two of my favorite VaPers. A little dry time necessary for either but both are very good. The tin note of PW is heavenly, almost chocolatey and the perique tastes very "plummy" to me, not as spicy, peppery as some of my other VaPers. Whatever VaPer you decide upon, from whichever blender, enjoy the journey - you're in for some treats as there are some very good blends out there!

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Anni kake is great but not representative of all vapers. OGS a Vaper?!?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
As mentioned, Anniversary Kake is a great blend, but not representative of the genre.
Based on what you've asked for, I would agree with the recommendations of Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Bullseye Flake. Also Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake. GL Pease's Telegraph Hill. Rattray's Marlin Flake if you like (natural) sweet. And of course Escudo, the gold standard.
OGS is great but I can't understand it as a VaPer.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Andy, thanks for the review and thoughts. You've inspired me to revisit the 'ol anniversary cake, as i am about to fire up a bowl in one of my castello's. It's been a while, but if i remember correctly, this blend is kind of light and bland for my tastes, which explains why i have only smoked a few bowls out of my tin. We shall see if my opinions change...Then again, i am finishing a bowl of SG dark flake right now, so it might not be the best time to give it another go, lol.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
This has been very helpful - and many thanks for all the comments. My palate has not yet expanded to enjoying spicy tobaccos. I find it odd, as I love spicy food. But the tobaccos that I have purchased that are described as spicy often burn my throat.
I think I'll opt for one of the less spicy VaPers - and work my way up to spiciness.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
but if i remember correctly, this blend is kind of light and bland for my tastes, which explains why i have only smoked a few bowls out of my tin. We shall see if my opinions change.
No doubt that this is a very mild tobacco. And that's what I appreciate about it. I do enjoy stronger Virginias. But not stronger spice.
And so this is not representative of VaPers - yep, I can see that now. I'll try one or two of the tobaccos mentioned int his thread and see where it takes me.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Everybody seems to recommend PSLBE so that's what I got first. My first flake. Neat stuff, certainly and I think it may take me more than the 4ozs I got to fully appreciate it's value, BUT, I then got some of the Escudo, and though it is strong, it is the best tobacco I've tried across the board, thus far.
I think you might get your taste buds awakened to Virgina backy with Pease's JackKnifePlug...it's darned good too!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Quote "I now believe that vac sealing was not only sucking out the air, but the flavor as well, heh. In hindsight I wish I had just jarred it without the vac seal and perhaps my results would have been better."
First, did you or did you not have a vacuum seal? If you heat-sealed the jars or just cranked down hard on the lid, you should have. You can tell as when you open the lid it makes a whoosh sound and resists being opened. If vacuum, then air did not enter the jar, which is what you want as aerobic fermentation becomes anaerobic once the air is gone, and you want both stages to get the full aging benefit. Definitely not a good idea for tobacco to be stored subject to the environment.
A vacuum seal with suck out neither air nor flavor. What it will do is create an environment for aging, which if you like the marrying and the mellowing, is what you want.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
AK is one of my favorites (really Craig?) to get the best out of it you need to jar it for a year. It settles into a fantastic blend. If you like the reds then SG SJF should be on the list. For browns of course Escudo. All the Perique seems to do better with age. All VA tobacco should be aged anyways. Burley and aromatics don't age, just blend a little.
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.