PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I just received in my first shipment from 4noggins and decided to open the tin of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. Lets just say I think I rushed that one a bit and need to let my tastes mature a bit before re-trying! The tin note was pretty awful but I figured I'd try anyways. The first few puffs were actually pretty nice, lit easily, nice pack and it stayed lit with no re-touches. After the first third though, the flavour changed to almost a cheap cigar taste to me, I couldn't finish the bowl. I'll container that one up and come back to it in a few moths I suppose.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
img-20130107-00050-150x112.jpg

Sorry this was a test to post a picture, I've been trying for a few days with no success.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I didn't like Dunhill Nightcap when I first tried it a few weeks ago. I gave it another try last night, and I like the stuff now. Not my go to blend, but I like it.

Jul 12, 2011
I notice right out of the tin (even if it seems ready to go) needs

some air-time; an hour or more, then the EMP really comes to

life, otherwise a muted smoke you will get

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I can understand you fellas not initially liking EMP; it was slightly stronger flavored than what I was used to also. Today though I smoked a bowl over the course of the day and now I really like it.
Clearly there is no right and wrong in taste
It is a personal preference
Allan

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
It all depends on what you are used to smoking before you try something like Early Morning Pipe. You have to like tobacco and not flavourings. Same goes for straight Virginia. You will never understand it if you don't love and crave tobacco. From my first puff of EMP many years ago I was hooked.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Can't laugh at them or feel sorry for them. They just don't like what you like. Just because they are not into pure tobacco flavour doesn't mean that they don't enjoy the types of tobacco that they do enjoy any less. I have had quite a few tobacco magic carpet rides from 1@ and other aromatics and less austere tobaccos in the past few years.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I recently tried EMP for the first time. Didn't like the first bowl,or the second nor the third. The problem with this and the other English blend I've tried-it was a P.Stokkebye blend, is that they smell and taste like something straight out of my wife spice rack! I'm thinking this stuff would make some great spaghetti sauce!! To me this doesn't even come come to tasting like tobacco. Virginias (in small doses-preferably mixed with burley) and burleys taste like tobacco to me. I guess that the closet thing to an English I will ever like is Walnut--preferably mixed with a burley.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
It was that spice rack aroma and flavour that attracted to me to these types of tobaccos in the first place to be honest with you. See, different points of view and neither is wrong.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'm a pretty big English fan and I just traded more than half a tin of EMP away. I just didn't like it for some reason.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm going to let iit sit for a bit while I get my sea legs. I'll try it again in another month or so, if I still can't stomach it then I'll trade with someone.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Brdvidson:
You're a new piper and I have to congratulate you on the following comment, "I'll container that one up and come back to it in a few months, I suppose."
After you've smoked for awhile and, as long as you're observant and continue asking questions, that tin of EMP just might turn out to be nectar of the goons.
Jarring it up and waiting - rather than sailing it into a trash can - is the smart, long haul approach.
Very commendable, friend-o.
Fnord

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I also just read in another thread about someone mixing 1q with escudo, I may do some mixing myself to see how that goes as the initial taste was not bad, just a little strong as time went on

Status
Not open for further replies.