PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I've largely avoided McClelland Dark Star due to the horror stories I hear of prepping it. I've had some aging for a couple years, but a friend sent me some 2014 stuff to try so, why not.
I actually let the flakes dry for nearly 3 hours while I mowed the lawn and put the kids to bed. Then I hit it in the coffee grinder and took it down to a fairly small shag - almost a mixture cut. This sat another 20 minutes while I poked around making a gin and tonic, ate from an open refrigerator, etc.
Anyway, finally took her out and gave her a spin. The findings?
1. I lucked out on the prep and pack. Rather than battle like a Wookie in an Imperial garbage compactor, it stayed lit fairly well and played nice.
2. This is definitely Blackwoods Flake's older sister. If Blackwoods Flake is that cute, shy college girl, Dark Star is her older, confident sister who works in business and wears a pantsuit.
3. That Pantsuit is really quite zesty. Probably the zestiest Virginia I've ever smoked. If you had told me there was Perique or dark fired, I would have believed you. Did I smoke it too fast? Probably. Hello. I'm a pipe smoker. Smoking pipes too fast is my gift.
4. Particularly in the top half of the bowl, it was the familiar McClelland sweetness that I have grown to love, but I can't say I liked it more than Blackwoods Flake or various Christmas Cheers.
5. All in all: Good, not mind blowing. I like it, but not enough to cellar. For whatever reason, Blackwoods is my preferred, probably because I only have enough confidence to date the shy girl and not Ms. Pantsuit (she's a Ms. now, that's what you call someone with an MBA).
6. If prepping it was your barrier to trying it, get over it. Dry it several hours, grind it up a bit, give it a little air, and go to town. Come on man, get in there. Walk right into that office and ask Ms. Pantsuit on a date for some Tapas and wine. If its a bad night, just call her younger sister and take her out to pizza. You'll probably get married.
And that's my take. Toodles.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Nice Tarak. Good thing I know I already like pizza as Blackwoods Flake is the latest tin I bought.

Jan 8, 2013
Nice post, Tarak. I'm still pretty new to Dark Star myself. I've had a few great smokes and a few that battled just like a wookie trying to save his friend from falling into a sarlac pit ;) On those great smokes, I have to say I enjoyed Dark Star quite a bit. I will probably keep a little bit on hand for rare occasions, but I don't see myself cellaring it in much quantity either. When it smokes well, it truly is a beautiful thing, but when it doesn't.... well let's just say pipe smoking should be relaxing, not frustrating.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
At the 2014 KC Show, Mike from McClelland was kind enough to give me a little over a pound of that tasty darkness...I do enjoy it- probably in my top 10...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've seen an item for sale on the bay called an "herb grinder". I think we all know what kind of "herb" people grind with them, but I was wondering if it might have an application for preparing flakes, or even crumble cake. Anyone tried it before?

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I have a tin of DS that has been sitting around since 2006. I guess when I run out of the jar of Black Parrot, I will try it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lol ... great analogy Tarak! :rofl:
As with most McClelland Virginias, Dark Star benefits from some breathing time after being opened.
I like to cube cut it fairly small and then dry it overnight. Gravity Pack with kindling on top. :puffy:
The sweet tangy flavor is more subdued than Blackwoods or Xmas Cheer but a great addition to the family.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tarak, yeah, the sisters analogy is fun. I've had a tin for about a year, and I enjoy all the accounts of liking or not liking it. It sounds as if McClelland would do well to rub out the leaf to uniform size to give the blend a more agreeable audition. Eventually, I'll pop the tin, and struggle with it, or smoke it with enjoyment, depending on how it rolls with me. One man's conundrum is another's companionable smoke.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm a fan, I never found it difficult in any way though and in fact I find it to be one of the easier, mindless Virginias to pack. It's generally my dog walking selection because it rarely goes out on me and always burns straight down to the heel. Love the stuff.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Good review Tarak. I've always been interested in giving it a go but the prep part scared me off.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I found a sealed tin from 1999 in the back of my closet the other day...........Gonna finish up a few opened tins, and pop this one in the fall, October or so....... :)

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
I never had any issues with DS. I let it sit open in the house for a couple of days and then rub it all out in my hands and put it back in the tin. Perfect moisture and stays lit all the time. Its not that hard once you get used to it. Great taste with huge ageing potentials IMO.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I enjoyed the review, and the analogy. Thankfully its just tobacco and not women actually ha, I was so intimidated by girls when I was younger I had to be seduced, once, and I married her, ha. Yeah tobacco I am very confident about getting out and about and chatting up all the pretty little things, regardless of how flaky they are, actually the chunky ones are fine too.
Isaac

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Nasty stuff. I tried it a couple of months ago. Then I read on here that you have to dry it for a day and let it sit for at least 6 months. So, I'll try again next spring.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Would love to take some Darkstar for a ride it sounds intriguing. But given my proclivity to buy local, it may be a while before I get my hands on some. For those who are interested - the other day, Saturday, I was suddenly able to walk (slowly) without the cane. I've been taking walks with Joanie (the wife), Keisha and Tad (the dogs). The weather has been beautiful as are the walks (and the wife). Feel that I'm on the right track.

Greg

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Tarak, your post was a great read and review :lol:
Aldecaker, I purchased one of those "Herb grinders" when I started smoking VA's and VaPer tobacco but it was not worth the fuss, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.