PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
I finally made it down to Oregon City today. Caught Steve Books there with an hour till closing time. Everything I've heard of this guy is true. Easy to talk to, not the least bit arrogant. He treated me, a person who has only been in this for four or five months, like I had been smoking a pipe all my life.

While there I picked up two ounces of Grandfathers Own, two ounces of Canadian Maple and one ounce of Lady Red's Rum, his holiday blend. I hadn't gone in there for aromatics. I changed my mind when I smelled these blends! They are the cleanest smelling, most distinct aro's I've had the pleasure of laying my nose on! I should say that I'm not sure if Grandfathers Own is really classified as an aromatic. But I digress...

He also was able to sell me a Savinelli Oscar Aries 504 from his collection. Most of the pipes for sale in his shop are from his personal collection. He mentioned something about a person not needing to have 600 pipes.
Here's some pics of the modest haul. (excuse the quality, I am currently limited to the ipod camera)
sav-oscar-aries-504-600x450.jpg

hoc-haul.jpg

I can't add anything to what has already been said about Steve and the House of Calabash. I would just encourage anyone who has even a slight chance of visiting his store to do it. Worth the trip, guaranteed.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
That's a great looking Savinelli! The stem really sets the whole thing off. Good score.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Shaintiques- I woke up this morning with Grandfathers Own still in my nose from the bowl last night. That stuff is spectacular! A great value too!

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
Well you just reminded me why the mail delivery is lacking, good pipe conversation and tobacco learning are hard to find. I'll have to make the time to get over there. Don't get me wrong, the charge for delivery is cheaper than the diesel to drive over.
Please let us know what you think of the tobaccos. I have my first Grandfather's Own with one year in the jar. I'm anxious to try it on each anniversary.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
@nobail - It's not a short drive for me either, 50 miles each way. But you're right, for the experience, the smell of the shop, browsing through all the pipes, it's a total field trip! I've only had one bowl of Grandfather's Own as of yet and I'm not very good at converting olfactory experience to words. I think it's probably one of the best values out there. $10 for two ounces is a wicked good deal for the quality you get. Hand blended boutique tobacco at production tin prices.

I've got to save up a few bucks and get down there again. There's another pipe I would love to get. Well, there's another 10 or 20 pipes I'd love to get, but one thing at a time, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.