PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
So, this is a first for me: my first virginia, my first flake, and my first review!
So, I busted out my H.I.S. Billiard, and used the fold and stuff method. I enjoyed the tin note, and the yellow and very light brown color of the tobacco was very appealing. The tobacco was fresh from the tin, no drying time, which I think it might need, as I did get some gurgling about halfway through the smoke. I had no issues getting it to initially light, however it did need several relights throughout. I'll be trying it rubbed out, which I've read really benefits this particular blend.
The tobacco itself was mild and very sweet, with a nice hint of citrus. I think oranges? My taste is not very refined, so i'm spitballing on that, but it sounds correct. The citrus taste was very mellow to start, and then picked up about a quarter of the way through the bowl. This may have been related to the moisture though, as it was around here where I started noticing the gurgle.
My major complaints with this smoke were not necessarily with the tobacco. The pipe got incredibly hot, very quickly. I've noticed this pipe tends to feel hotter due to the relatively thin walls on the bowl, but this was extreme. I attribute this to me smoking too fast, the tobacco being moister than it should have been, as well as that we are extremely hot outside today in general (Pushing close to 100 today). Hopefully a change of pipe and slowing down plus drying should help that.
Overall, I think if I were to rate this on a 1-10 scale, I would give it a 6, mainly due to the issues I noticed. I'll be trying it rubbed in a different pipe tonight, and I'll post my thoughts then too. Hopefully that changes and I give it a higher score. If I was going off of taste alone, I would give a 7.5. Nice flavor overall, but nothing spectacular.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it tastes like oranges to you, you get to say that; it's your review. Sounds like a pretty good version of Virginia leaf!

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
So I did not get to smoke again last night as I thought I would, so instead I'll be trying it tonight!

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
So, still haven't gotten around to a second bowl. Yesterday was crazier than I expected it to be.
@Paul, no bite, which I was expecting tbh. But was pleasently surprised.
@Cortez, I have a couple of pipes that just arrived from an ebay order that are thick walled. I'm going to try one of those out after I do a good cleaning on them. In the meantime, I have another bent billiard that has thicker walls, which I'm going to try out whenever I get a free minute to sit and smoke.

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
So I finally got around to a second bowl.
More pipe related issues this time as well! As part of the lot I received from ebay, I received a Dr Grabow Westbrook, and after what I thought was a thorough cleaning, I rubbed some of the Capstan out, let it dry for about 20 minutes or so, and went to porch to enjoy it while watching a documentary on Hulu about cults.
I was completely wrong about the cleaning job I did on the pipe. The first taste was something too awful to even really begin to describe. After another 5 minutes with a pipe cleaner, it died down to a tolerable level, but may have impacted my enjoyment of the smoke.
About a quarter of the way through the bowl, any residual taste was gone. It was definitely the same taste from my try, though somewhat even mellower, with the citrus taste being almost complete unnoticeable (this may have been because of the issue when first lighting the pipe). Still, I enjoyed the smoke from that point on, and would say I would even bump up the review score from a 6 to a 7.5. The taste issues definitely were not from the tobacco, and the heat issues I had from the first bowl were definitely not present at all. Overall I can say I would purchase this again, though I may wait for a sale or something, as the $16 I paid may be a bit high for me to justify this regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.