PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandmike1

Lurker
Apr 3, 2013
Hi, I'm new to smoking in general; I had my first cigar only a couple weeks ago. I liked the cigar, but I have decided that I would like to give a pipe a try. I would have tried a while ago, but there are so many types of tobaccos and different blends and what not and it is very intimidating. My question is: what are some good beginner tobaccos that I can try to see what all I like?

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I myself am a pretty new pipe smoker . I have only been smoking about 8 months now. I have tried 15 different tobacco blends so far & am really enjoying the vast amount of tobacco choices available to choose from. From my experience so far I would also recommend Lane's 1Q. Its a very mild flavourful tobacco that has become my go to tobacco. I Have never experienced togue bite with 1Q ,its always a very enjoyable smoke for me.It definately is worth giving it a try, its sold in bulk & prices are really good which is also very nice.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The fellas have given you some good advice so far. Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Enjoy the journey!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome!
I moved to non-aromatics (often called "English" blends) very early on, but I'm currently revisiting the very first tobacco I ever smoked back in 1980: Tinder Box's North Sea, which is their house name for Peter Stokkebye's Nougat. And even though I only rarely smoke aromatics these days, I have to say that I've really enjoyed this one. A lot of that is probably due to the memories I now associate with the aroma. But it's also a cool smoking, dry tobacco with a very mild flavoring of cocoa and vanilla. Very pleasant, and the kind of thing you could smoke all day without fatigue.
Nougat (also known as PS-24) is Stokkebye's most-popular blend, and it is likely that many B&Ms stock it. But chances are, they have given it their own "house" name. You just have to ask if they carry Stokkebye (STOKE-a-bee) bulk blends and if they have PS-24/Nougat. Of course, it's also available from online retailers like SmokingPipes.com, which is my preferred vendor.
FWIW, this is the best-selling blend in Tinder Box stores as well -- and it has been since the 1970s.
Bob

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Yea! Another newbie! Welcome to the forums. :) I'm very new to pipe smoking too. There are a lot of good people here that have a lot of good advise. I find myself keeping this page open in a separate tab: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology while perusing the forums. It helps a lot.

If you have a local tobacco shop (B&M = Brick and Mortar) Read some stuff here and then go there. Talk to them. I read a lot of stuff here last week. I then went to one of the two very good B&M in my area yesterday. I spoke with the tobacconist. I asked him a lot of questions. He was very patient and kind in his answers. I told him that I was looking for a tobacco in each of these different types: A Burley, a Virginia, and an English. He encouraged me to sniff. While I sniffed, he explained. I learned a lot.

I have a word file of the tobaccos that I have. I C&P'd the information from here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm They have reviews on most the tobacco you'll come across. So, if you can't find it here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/pipe-tobacco-reviews you should be able to find it there. By having a file of the different tobaccos that you have tried, their ingredients and stuff, you'll begin to see what you like and what you don't like.

I hope I was helpful :)

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Orlik Golden Sliced was my first that I enjoyed. It might work for you too!
Then almost immediately afterward, I discovered latakia... My world was forever changed. GL, welcome, and happy puffing! :puffpipe:

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Scotty's Butternut Burley is a mild smoke and could be a good starter option.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bobandmike1, welcome to the Forums, and most especially to pipes. I enjoy Lanes 1Q, but you might want to start

with a sample quantity of 2 oz, or whatever the minimum purchase is, to try it it -- or whatever other blends you try.

Another from Lane that is really pleasant to me is LL-7. Some Forums members blend it, but it is already a blend.

Also, try a black cavendish for a nice easy smoke that keeps burning and has a good room note. It may take a while

to find your favorites. Best of luck.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd also suggest Lane Limited's 1Q as a started blend. I'd also say though if you don't like it don't drop the pipe then and there. Get some samples of different styles of blends. There's a wide variety of styles to pipe blends and it's worth checking them all out before throwing in the towel.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
I agree with rothnh all the way.

Great advise as usual.

A good starter in my opinion is also Lanes 1Q. You can go from there.

I can't believe you will ever "not like 1Q" if you find you enjoy tobacco,

even if in the future you find others that suit your taste as well.

IMHO. :puffpipe:

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Oh! I've just thought of one that hasn't been mentioned: Smokers' Haven 20th Anniversary. There's a lot to like about this one. It's sweet, it's tangy, nice room note, (personally, anyway) I can't get it to bite, smells and tastes and smokes like nothing I can think of.
There IS latakia in it, but it's far from overbearing. It's done subtly and well.
Almost no matter what your preferences are, I feel like nearly everyone could find something in this blend that is to their liking (or at least intriguing).
It wasn't MY first, but it could be yours.
My first was unfortunately Three Star China Black Vanilla Burley. It tasted like dust.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Suggestions above are good. I wish I had those when I started. Instead I listen to people who were also starting and followed their suggestions, blind leading the blind. Overall enjoy trying different kinds of blends. Tobaccoreviews.com offers a good list and you can read the reviews of others. Why do they like it? I rarely buy more than the smallest amount for sale so I can try it, smoke a few bowls and then try something else. I do have my favorites which I will return to and enjoy. Have fun on your journey.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I recently started smoking a pipe again, after a long hiatus. Everyone likes different things, and you might want to try a couple different things to start with. Like the others said 1Q is a good aromatic blend, but my recommendation for starting out in the world is Mcclellands oriental #8 blend. Its easy to deal with right out of the tin, has the right moisture content and smokes well. While it has some Latakia in it it is by no means overpowering.

bobandmike1

Lurker
Apr 3, 2013
Oh, wow I didn't really expect so many responses! Thank you all for your input. I will definitely be checking out the Lane 1Q and the Smokers' Haven sounds pretty good as well. Also, has anyone had any experience with the Frog Morton series? I have been intrigued ever since I first saw it on the web haha.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
I am fairly new too. I like the 1Q, but by far the best thing I have had to date is the Frog Morton's Cellar.

Escudo is a close second. I'm still learning how to pack the escudo, but half the fun is in the experimentation. Spent my one night off this week, organizing tobacco into jars and trying about 3 new tobaccos.
CAO's Eileen's Dream. It was good, but I didn't get what everyone had said about the flavor, will try again might need a little drying.
McClellands' 3 Cherry Blend, nice room note, but a little subtle in the taste.
Early Morning Pipe (EMP) I really liked this one. Good all around
It is true with tobacco that different strokes for different folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.