PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I recently quit smoking and decided I need something to do when sitting outside and I bought a Dr Grabow and a bag of tobacco from CVS. I took the filter out because I figured the smoke in the pipe should travel like fluid in a pipe and a better less turbulent flow would provide a better smoother smoke (maybe I am over thinking it). The tobacco was like smoking a broken up old dried out cigar. Very harsh and not much flavour other than smoke but since I am a cheap **s I muscled through the bag. I then bought some Drew Estate caned tobacco (Toasted Black Cavendish) and was completely shocked by the difference. I have now ordered a Brigham Voyageur pipe because the open flow filter design intrigued me. I am currently a cigar smoker off about 10 years so I do have an appreciation for the flavour of good tobacco. I was hoping to buy another can that was not an aromatic blend. Any suggestions on tobacco or a high quality pipe.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums texan!
There are so many recommendations we can all make (and I will make some), but the best way to get an idea of what to try would be to read as many posts on the forum as you can, participate and ask questions.
Nice choice on the Brigham - I have not tried their maple filters, but many like it.
I will recommend Frog Morton Cellar as a tobacco to try (it's one of my personal favs and a favorite of many here). Carter Hall is also considered a reliable smoke for many here too and relatively easy to get.
Also, browse tobaccoreviews.com for indepth reviews on most of the tobaccos out there. Of course take each review with a grain of salt since few people will agree on anything, let alone tobacco - but it will allow you to gain an idea of what to expect.
And also be sure to check out the tobacco forum here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/pipe-tobacco-discussion
Good luck and have fun!
p.s. in terms of pipes, I would recommend a Stanwell. They now manufacture pipes in Italy, so I cannot be sure how good these Italian ones are - but the Danish-made ones (which can be found as estates on ebay or sometimes new) are IMHO, the best factory-made pipes out there.

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome to the forums! I would recommend grabbing a few Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes to get you started. They are great smokers and easy on the budget. Some blends that a lot of people like early on, hmm, 1Q by Lane Ltd is really popular. Also RLP-6 by Lane. I prefer the latter, as it is slighty more robust. There are some blends that contain some cigar leaf, G.L. Pease Robusto comes to mind, which is quite a fantastic blend. If you are looking for non-aromatic blends, I always recommend MacBaren's Old Dark Fired. Fantastic rich, smokey flavor, and my personal go to blend.
Take your time, try as many different blends as your budget allows for. There are enough different tobaccos out there to last a lifetime of sampling and tinkering. Enjoy the ride!

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
+1 on the Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes. They are a fantastic value and provide a truly great smoke despite their more "common" appearance.
As far as tobaccos are concerned, I smoke mostly aromatics and Virginia flakes. If you're looking for things that AREN'T cased with flavors, I would suggest trying some straight VA's like Dunhill flake, Orlik Golden Sliced, Capstan flake, etc.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for the quick suggestions. I’ll have to look into those I got a few varies types coming in the mail. One is a H&H Marquee Blackhorse and Scotty's Butternut Burley. Hopefully those will be good. I'll have to check out yall's recommendations. Especially the one with cigar leaves that is interesting.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Timing is everything. Right now P&C has both Escudo tobacco at 20% off, and Stanwell pipes on sale for $50.

Because of a posting SNAFU by the folks at P&C, you'll need this shape chart to decipher some of their offerings.

stanwellshape-chart-4_zps997a0767.jpg

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I looked at those Stanwell pipes. They seem really nice. I was also checking out those Nording handmade pipes, particularly the bigger ones. They look like something I could use for smoking and also knocking my son on the head when he is going crazy. Multi-purpose tool.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
As a previous cigar smoker I'd stay away from the aromatics. Smokingpipes.com has all C&D bulk blends at 20% off to satisfy the "thrifty" conscience person in you.
If you would like a FULL blend, might I suggest a new favorite of mine by Cornell & Deihel called Billy Budd it's one that available in bulk and 20% off. It's got some cigar-leaf, Burley, VA and some Latakia too. I've really been enjoying it lately.
I've smoked cigarettes, and cigars, and smoking aromatics for me did nothing but disappoint. If I do dable in aromatics(because my g/f is around) I mix a bit of whatever with some Carter Hall, and can then smoke the aros with some sort of satisfaction.
Like a previous poster said..All of us pipe smokers are very opinionated and we love to share our thoughts on this hobby of ours, so be prepared for the fire-hose of information.
Welcome to the club, you're in for a fun ride.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I also have a question on ashing technique. Should I knock the ash out numerous times during a smoke or only when finished? I have noticed that leaving some ash helps maintain a moderate temp in the pipe while ashing all the time tends to make my pipe burn hot. If I do not ash at all the pipe goes out. So I am assuming that it is ideal to leave a moderate amount of ash in the bowl while smoking to hep control the pipe temp. How do yall do it, or do yall just not worry about it. I might be over thinking it. I tend to do that.

Jan 8, 2013
Just tamp gently and occasionally. Try not to knock the ash out at all. I used to do that, knock it out before relights, thinking that it was going to either ruin the flavor or suffocate the cherry. It won't. But the ash will help keep the temp just right in the bowl.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Ok so I have placed an order for Billy Bud, Frog Morton Cellar, Escudo Navy Deluxe, and I found one called Peterson Irish Flakes that (according to the reviews) is supposed to knock my socks off cause of the strength. That should keep me going for a while and give me good start. Thanks

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
If you find those baccys are not to your liking. I'd recommend Cornell & Diehls Old Joe Krantz & Big n Burley. They are bulk baccys which mean low price. And since you are coming from the cigs you will appreciate their strength and like their flavor. Also smoking in a cob, sans filter, will increase your enjoyment.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
As for another blend with cigar leaf there's always Hearth and Home Stogie. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72935/hearth-home-signature-stogie/

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Wow thanks yall, I thought I put the request for suggestions out there and check a few days later and hope for a few responses. I did not expect to have so many helpful suggestions so quick.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I too quit cigarettes, because the paper makes me hack. It dawned on me, dude, if you're gonna smoke and can't hack the paper, try a pipe!..picked up a MM Cobb a month ago at the drug store..used my cig tobacco for two days...got my nicco kick, and thought (!) this could be much better with better backy...so back to the drug store. picked up some Walgreen's special and it was not bad. Started to look on the web about pipes and pipe tobacco and voila, here I am!

So, here I am, a month or so into this, and I've acquired a whole bunch of pipes from ebay. I've got cobbs (total 3), briars, the pipe, a yellow bowl and a neat looking genuine bock 17 meerschaum.

I read up on bulk and tinned tobacco and got some Sir Walter Raleigh right away...it's pretty darned good.

Then, after I started reading here @ Pipesmagazine...I ordered some stuff from a tobacconist here online and can't wait for it's arrival.

Meantime, I've got some drugstore toasted cav, some Captain Black white pkg. and the Raleigh to play with..and about 12 pipes now to rotate and smoke the hell out of..

I haven't spent more than about $50.00 and I've got the meeersh, a Swiss Dry Briar, a briar I haven't researched called pipe dreams, a textured briar that has a threaded stem, a smooth briar with threaded stem marked L. H. S. that I haven't researched...a The Pipe, and a Yellow Bole...

This is fun!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
MM cobs are great, but don't overlook Old Dominion cobs. They are made in a style popular 150 years ago, look rather rustic, and have a superb flavor. Stanwell, Peterson and Savinelli all have pipes at various price points, and although Stanwell has moved their operation to Italy, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as some of thworld's finest pipes are produced there., also, don't overlook English tobaccos. A bit of Latakia in the mix can work wonders. To that end, I would recommend Peretti's D-9575 and D-7485, and Frog Morton (original.). A superb virginia is McCranie's Red Ribbon, in my mind what a virginia ought to taste like. There's a big world out there, with nearly unlimited pipes and tobaccos to choose from. Welcome to the forum, where you will find ten thousand of your closest friends willing to share their experiences with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.