PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Ok, so my wife says to me “do you think you could find a certain vintage Dr. Seuss Grinch mug for a gift for my boss for xmas?” “I’m sure I could, dear, but you know I’d probably have to get an ebay account or similar…” She KNOWS MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE that I have been many times afflicted by PAD/TAD and the like. “Ok”, she says. HA!! I had the mug nailed down in 5 minutes (which I didn’t tell her until after an hour of surfing pipes and tobacciana)…”Whew”, says I, “that was tough, but I got ‘er done.” “Oh you’re sweet”, she says, “thank you!” “No problem, my sweet… by the way, there was this silver filigree Medico pipe there, just like the one Walter Cronkite used to smoke… mind if I pick it up?” “Sure, go ahead”, she said, still in the brain-dead glow of delight that I could have actually have scored exactly the mug she wanted!!! YEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAW, ol’ Jerwynn jumped fer joy and got it in the pipeline long before she came back to ask how much! And here it is:
fullsizerender-2-600x400.jpg

And here's Uncle Walter smoking the self-same pipe:
1337256000000cached_8-600x400.jpg

I've just always had a thing about those Medico silver-filigree jobs... don't know why... just tickles my fancy for some unfathomable reason. Now I have it sitting on it's own little hardwood stand on my dresser. HA! Whattaya know??!!! Merry Christmas!!

jerry

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
wc-cronkite_walter_2.jpg

wc-walter_cronkite.jpg

wc-cronkite_tv-guide1.jpg

wc-tumblr_mky32iohes1qivon6o1_1280-600x459.jpg

wcradntwrk.jpg

I guess you could say I'm a complete fan! What a first-class gentleman, journalist, and pipester! I remember watching him from the first manned space-flights through the rest of his career. Maybe I should have made this its own post. sigh...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have one of those, and as much as I like it, that metal can really heat up! Smoke it nice and slow. :wink:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Cool post... I've got one in my collection too. I'll try to remember to post a picture of mine when I get home. It makes for a good aromatic smoker.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Well, I've got 'er buffed up and silver-polished. I want to do just one last deep cleaning of the airway and bit and then should be ready to give 'er a go! Then again, I might just leave her in her little stand and admire her til she just starts to tarnish ever so slightly.
Maybe hawky and woodsroad you could post pics of yours too? Twould be fun to see!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Wow, chasi, cool! Can't beat that price! Is the design something fer real? I see a road-killed-squirrel with his head on an artist's palette laying on a music 5-line-staff??!!! Are there notes on the staff?? Hmmmmm.... maybe a quote of Beethoven's pastorale symphony?! Now THAT would be cool!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It is a very worn design, but the lines are a fence row, and the design is a farmer on the right next to a goat.

Status
Not open for further replies.