PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizzman4

Lurker
Aug 4, 2019
I’m just getting started in the pipe smoking world.
First, what do I actually need. I’ve bought a pipe, so what else do I need.
Second, because I don’t have a taste for anything yet, what are some recommendations for a first timer to get a general experience of different tastes/flavors to figure out what I like? Maybe a top 5 list of tobaccos to start with?
Thanks for the help!
John

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Just the minimum would be:
Pipe - check.

Lighter or matches (a Bic is fine, but no cigar torches)-

Tobacco -

A store of patience -
You might also want:

- Pipe cleaners

- A tamper (or golf tee or big-headed nail) or a pipe tool (the so-called "Czech Tool" is a good cheap option)

- An ashtray

- A chair

- Instructions on how to pack and smoke the pipe (try Youtube)
Possible tobacco that's fairly cheap, easy to find, and easy to smoke and enjoy:

- Carter Hall

- Granger

- Sir Walter Raleigh
If you have questions, ask away - there are lots of people here happy to help!

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Are you looking for tobacco recommendations for an online purchase or an in store purchase?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
If you have a brick and mortar in you area I would definitely check that out. I remember when I picked up smoking back in 2006 I got started with all I needed, including advice, by the local tobacconist. That was piper world in Austin Texas, and some habits I have formed on those early days stuck with me over the years, in spite of the fact that I have evolved in technique and taste. Sure you can read online, or watch videos, but having somebody to actually show you the ropes - packing, lighting, tamping, recommending tobacco, etc. goes a long way.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the world of pipe smoking! I would say the most important thing you need when starting out is patience. For as long as I've been at it, there are still challenges about drying the tobacco, packing it, and my cadence (that is, how you sip the pipe). It is a very steep learning curve.
Your first bowls will be hard to keep lit and just taste like smoke. That's normal.
What kind of pipe did you get to start out with?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Forget flavors for now! Just dry the hell out of the tobacco before loading, press gently, and light and relax.
What pipe did you get?

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard! I second all of the above. It just takes practice. I would imagine, in less than a week, you'll have a good idea of what's working and what's not.
A lot of it is trial and error. In my early days of piping, I once left a tin of tobacco open and realized how nice it was to dry out some blends of tobacco a tad before smoking.
In due time, you'll be enjoying your pipe without having to think too much about how you are doing it. It'll just be a natural process.
Good luck! And don't hesitate to ask questions. Most everyone here will be glad to chime in.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I definitely agree with the drying of the tobacco. Many a newbie has been put off by wet tobacco that won't light. I now wont smoke mine untill it's almost crunchy.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Get yourself a mm cob and some decent tobacco and enjoy.

Don’t give up after the first few bowls. Trust us it will get better as you develop your technique and than you will understand why we love our guilty pleasure

Good luck brother.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You don't need to have a corncob to enjoy or learn pipe smoking. Some of us cannot stand cobs. There are many fans of them, however.

frizzman4

Lurker
Aug 4, 2019
And I’ll be looking online due to selection and availability. So any tobacco suggestions are welcome. The number of options is staggering.

Georg Jensen is a fantastic pipe choice!
I would recommend to start with an English (GLP Chelsea Morning comes to my mind Or Davidoff Royalty), a VAPer (You cannot go wrong with Escudo), a burley blend(I don’t smoke that yet, so no recommendations) , and an aromatic like Lane 1-Q.
I think it is better to start with cooler burning full flavor tobacco, so an English is a perfect choice for a new smoker. I have listed the others as very good starting choices in the other types.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Agree with Cshubra. Start with a variety of genres, and blends that are full-flavored, but not high in nicotine, unless you have a tolerance and want more of it.
Here are some recs:
English: GL Pease Maltese Falcon or Kensington, Balkan Supreme, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding
Virginia/VaPers: Escudo, Orlik Golden Sliced, Stokkebye Luxury Flakes, Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake
Burley: MacBaren HH Burley Flake or Old Dark Fired, H&H Classic Burley Kake
Aromatic: Not very experienced with these, but Cult Blood Red Moon seems to be a popular choice for a quality aromatic

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
The main online stores have bulk blends in 1oz. quantities. You can try lots of different blends without fronting too much cash, and without ending up with a tin full of tobacco that you don't care for. That's what I'd recommend.
Also, get a pouch of an old-school, well-known brand like Prince Albert. They can be a little easier to pack and smoke(from my experience,) and there's a reason brands like these have been around so long.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lots of good advice above, so I'll contradict some of it.
The advice about getting accessories to keep you pipe clean, such as pipe cleaners, a pipe tool, etc. is solid. A gunked up pipe makes for a lousy smoking experience.
Drying your tobacco before smoking it is excellent advice. Most tinned tobaccos have a lot of moisture added to keep them from drying out before the smoker opens the tin. Too much moisture masks the flavors in a blend. If you live in a fairly dry climate, 30 to 45 minutes is generally sufficient to bring your tobacco into a better moisture level. Experiment to find what works best for you.
Packing lighter than you think is good advice. As you get more familiar with your tobacco, you'll experiment with packing and find out what works for you. It will vary a bit based on the cut.
Since you have only the one pipe, stay away from English blends for now. English blends contain Oriental and Latakia, very pungent tasting tobaccos, and once they're in your pipe, you will always taste them regardless of what else you're smoking. As you are trying out different flavors, for now, avoid English blends until you get another pipe.
Buy a couple of cobs. They're cheap, they smoke well, and you can experiment with different families of tobacco without cross contamination.
The most popular blends are Lane 1Q and Captain Black. Aromatics make up 90% of what is smoked. Also popular are Over The Counter blends, also known as OTC's or "Codger" blends. They're generally burley based, smoke cool and mild. Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Sir Walter Raleigh are three of the top sellers in this area. I particularly like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which has a liqueur topping. Just be aware that Prince Albert has a little Latakia in it. I'd second Carter Hall, or its clone, Chatham Manor, which is a higher quality copy.
Once you get a second pipe, then try out English blends.
Just take your time and experiment. Pipe smoking is a slow process if you're doing it right.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Lots of good advice above, so I'll contradict some of it.
Classic Jesse! -laugh-
Welcome, John, glad to have you here!
And yes, folks, it's true. I'm back. Many stories to tell, none you really want to hear, so I won't. Look at it as my return present to y'all. :)
Bill

bryans

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
I'm a 70 yo semi-retired physician (Still see patients about 3 days/ week). My dad smoked a pipe when we were kids, which was my first introduction to pipes. When I was about eleven and my kid brother about 9, we saved all our allowance money and bought him a meerschaum pipe (which he always talked about but never had). He really loved it, not only for the pipe, but because we thought enough of him to gift him with it, I think.

Flash ahead to the last year or so. It was very difficult one for my wife and I. In the same week, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and her mom with pancreatic cancer. The last twelve months has been really tough, as my wife went through chemotherapy and radiation and we had her mom placed in hospice care. I had to assume all the duties at home--cooking cleaning, shopping, etc. My mother-in-law finally passed in January of this year. In the midst of this, my father died in October at the ripe old age of 98--sharp to the end, but he could not beat pneumonia. My wife will be fine with low stage disease and we don't anticipate any recurrence.

During this time my refuge has been to quietly sit on our upstairs balcony and smoke a bowl. Understand that I have never smoked in my whole life before this, but this gave me a moment to reflect on the day and relax. We live in northern Michigan in a beautiful home overlooking lovely Lake Charlevoix and I believe this really helped keep me sane and emotionally recharged during a most difficult time.

My dad lived with my brother in Boca Raton, FL, and my brother finally overcame his grief enough to go through my father's things--and the old meerschaum was still there. He sent it to me and I had it reconditioned and have smoked it--kind of a way to reconnect with him, I guess. I know people smoke for a number of reasons, but smoking a bowl does wonders for my spirits and it sure beats meds or alcohol! Also, smoking the pipe triggers fond memories of him which I would never have been able to recall otherwise--perhaps the smell of the tobacco makes those memories come alive again?

Surprisingly, I have not had too much trouble with packing or relighting my pipes as I remember much of what he told me and what I observed as a child while watching him prepare his pipe. I’ve been trying a variety of tobaccos, finding some of the aromatics a bit cloying for my taste but enjoying Captain Black Gold the most, I think. Fun experimenting! And I’m proud to be a member of this most elite group!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Nice intro and welcome aboard bryans! Glad you've been able to relax up there with a nice pipe.
Always love visiting the northern Michigan area. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.