PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Up until now I've only smoked ribbon cuts. I opened a tin of Solani White & Black, a ready rubbed, this evening. Not quite sure what to do with it, I watched what seemed to be a good video on how to pack it. Well, the first 1/4 went ok, then the troubles began, including constant relights and losing the open draw. I figured the tobacco was swelling and getting wet. I ended up dumping about half, loosening up the remainder, tamping a bit while checking the draw. That helped a bit, but I finally gave up on it.
So what did I do wrong and what should I try next time?
By the way, I did dry it pretty good, but perhaps I needed to dry more. Also, I wasn't puffing on it like a freight train, but sipped throughout with some light tamping. I expect this will be mentioned.

You dried it, you watched a video on packing, the first quarter went well, but then something happened... Maybe over-tamping could have been an issue? I use a very light touch with the tamper... hell, I barely use my tamper until at least over half-way through a smoke. Then, I am merely crushing down the ash, very lightly. I am just guessing here. But, tamping too much has been beginner issues in the past.

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
It's weird, I never struggle with flake, even when I rub it out, but I struggle quite a bit with ready rubbed. I actually made a similar post a few days back...wish I had some advice for you...perhaps, you'll take solace knowing you're not alone and someone else is out there dealing with the same shit.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
My first few bowls went exactly like that and it was due to over-tamping. The easiest way to get a feel for tamping is to hold the tamper just slightly above the tobacco and let gravity do the work for you. Don't push it down, just drop it a half centimeter at a time. It will lightly push down and when it meets resistance it will stop. Try that a few times and see if it helps. Cheers!

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I don't know. This ready rubbed seems like a whole different animal to be tamed. I tamp very lightly understanding that too much can put out the ember. I'll keep at it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some tampers I have weigh about a gram and so the weight of them alone does nothing. Big puffs while tamping often revives an ember on the verge of extinction.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Sounds like you packed it too tightly. If you're anything like me, you will pack a ribbon cut, especially a lighter ribbon cut, more tightly to allow some more robustness. I think of this as post-stoving but I'm not sure that is correct. Flake-based tobaccos don't need this.

The 3 fill method works for me. (or daddy, mummy, baby: a stupid but effective mnemonic. To take a full bowl down to a half-bowl, then a full bowl tamped to a 2/3 bowl, then fill and lightly tamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.