PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Got my shipment today of bulk Nightcap and MM965 along with a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced. I sampled the first two earlier in the day and they were very good. It was my first go with MM965 and I was not disappointed. I noticed a textural difference between the tinned Nightcap and bulk, and they burned a little differently, but the flavors were close enough as to make no bones. This is my first official review.
As soon as I opened the Golden Sliced, I could smell a honey like sweetness and citrus aroma. Almost like dessert at Christmas dinner. Orange/pinapple zest? It sounds crazy and I don't know how else to describe it. I folded a slice into a thick chewing gum shape and cut the whole thing with scissors short-wise across into longer than thick rectangular pieces which I fussed with a few seconds until I was satisfied with the consistency. I packed my wide bowled bulldog to the rim and sat out on the windy porch. The char light was sweet and airy with citrus lingering like gnats around my head. The real action came with the true light. The honey like sweetness deepened briefly then retreated as the earthy Virginia rode up and made itself at home. The citrus became more complex and came to remind me of Gran Marnier as it stuck around, more or less, for the rest of the bowl. After the first few smooth draughts, I fully inhaled the smoke and exhaled through my nose. A habit I am prone to only with the smoothest of tobaccos these days. Something caught me then and I couldn't put my finger on it. I kept thinking of the countryside in Central Illinois where I spent a lot of time growing up. My Father was the only one in his family that smoked and his choice was menthol cigarettes. Maybe an old farmer with a pipe smoked this? Didn't seem likely. The Virginia flavor was smooth and dominant, but never wore out its welcome. Toward the end of the bowl it dawned on me... Prairie Grass. Spring and summer my nostrils filled with this scent as we drove to see my Grandparents. This is my first real Virginia blend, as I have been doing Latakia/English for a while with a few Burley blends in between. To be honest, I kinda thought pipers were full of shit when they would mention fruit and other stuff in their reviews. If I hadn't tasted these flavors myself, I would think I am full of shit. Well, I am full of shit, but that doesn't change my experience. Right now I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. It was a damn fine bowl and just what the doctor ordered. Happy Piping !!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
OGS is indeed a great tobacco. You may have lucked out and found the magical mix of OGS and a pipe that loves it, right off the bat. If not, just think of how it will be when you come across it. My moment, believe it or not, was when I smoked it in a small, unmarked, unsmoked, no-name billiard I found in a Goodwill store. Manna from heaven! Not only is that stuff great on its own, it makes an excellent blending component for your own custom blends.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
aldecaker,
I had cleaned the hell out of the old bulldog two days ago with 91% isopropyl, Q-tips, a stiff thin bottle brush, and many pipe cleaners. It's a fat sandblasted Custombilt with Mayfair stamped over it (my avatar namesake). It is the widest bowl I own and has never let me down. I couldn't believe how sweet the OGS was, it was almost cloying. I'm going to let the slices dry out next time. I basically popped the tin and smoked it after cutting. I am far from blending with it, but if it mixes half as well as it tastes, it'll practically be witchcraft. :)

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, OGS is super good. The price is right too. It was my first flake and in a lot of ways represents what pipe tobacco is all about for me.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Ironically I just finished smoking a bowl of Golfen Sliced right before coming on here and finding this post. Definitely one of my favorites.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Yeah, OGS is in my top 3!

1 - SPC Mississippi River

2 - OGS

3 - Rattray's Old Gowrie
You may also wana give Old Gowrie a go - it's heavenly!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wait till you crack a ten year old tin. The tobacco will be black and the flavors of figs and raisins will be very dominant. The grassy and citrus flavors will be pretty much gone, but it will be a sublime smoke.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Often compared to a bulk flake, Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, it's a decent VA flake.

Virginia's are some finicky tobaccos in flake form. When you succeed it's worth the effort.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
What a great review. I hope to try OGF at some point in the future, it sounds like my kind of tobacco.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
It's the Bergamont scent that reminds me of a Lakeland style tobacco. Golden Sliced isn't a Lakeland at all but that bergamot..... This stuff is great with a bit of age on it.
Great review.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OGS can provide a moment of enlightenment when you discover that a blend doesn't have to come on like a brass band to be complex, engaging, and beguiling. Sometimes less is more, and subtle is powerful.

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
I just finished A bowl of OGS and saw this post. The words we use to describe the taste of tobacco may sound terrible but once you try it it makes sense. For instance the word I want to use to describe the flavor in today's bowl of OGS is "soapy". Doesn't sound appealing but I'm sure there are some folks out there that will agree. I haven't found too many virginias I like but OGS is a standard part of my rotation.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Bergamot bergamot bergamot and soap :D That was my last experience with this stuff. I could hardly taste tobacco at all and it made me nauseous. Utterly foul and you are welcome to it ;-)

kokopiper

Lurker
Feb 4, 2014
Orlik Golden Sliced is one of my go-to virginias. It's so consistent between tins, and always hits the spot in hot and sunny weather!
If you like OGS, you might also want to try Dunhill flake or Erinmore Flake.... Also the P.S. Luxury Flake..

Status
Not open for further replies.